Author Topic: vase glass absorption effect problem  (Read 4454 times)

2018-07-17, 15:53:22

jjaz82

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi everybody.
i tried to reproduce this effect on glass vases, i don't know if i wrong something or if i found a bug,  the model is one with 3 different id, i use a corona multimap on absorpion color for give different color to the parts,

i attached the exemple
my result
and a test with ior refraction set to 1, where absorption effect result correct.

thank you :)

Nicola

2018-07-17, 16:02:30
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It is bug (a very old one), where Corona refractive materials won't work well if plugged into multi/sub, blend or layered materials. You should utilize material IDs together with Corona multimap in a single material -  that will give you correct result.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-07-18, 09:30:18
Reply #2

jjaz82

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the model is one with 3 different id, i use a corona multimap on absorpion color for give different color to the parts,

hi romullus, yes i used  corona multimap in a single material.

2018-07-18, 10:02:02
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Oh, sorry, my mistake. Could you attach that object or at least material to inspect? I tried to put multimap in absorbtion slot and i got expected result at any IOR.

2018-07-18, 10:09:40
Reply #4

jjaz82

• Active Users
    • View Profile
sure, thank you :)

2018-07-18, 11:46:06
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hm, i can't replicate the issue with your scene, if i plug multimap into absorption slot, it renders just fine. See my attachment (i disabled bump and glossy refractions for more clarity, but even with those features turned on, it still renders correctly).

2018-07-18, 12:03:13
Reply #6

jjaz82

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For me your render have same problem than mine, in the real example there aren't al distortion i found in the render.
in render there are a gap between clear glass and colored glass, in real photo this gap dosen't exist.

this effect is similar to when you tried to put some liquid in a glass.

2018-07-18, 12:14:04
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Oh, i thought that your last picture in the first post is showing the bug, now i see what you meant. Well, it's hard to tell how those objects in photograph are made. Maybe there are no cavities at all and those different colour areas are in fact solid infills of different glass? I haven't seen such object in real life, so i can't tell how that effect is made.

2018-07-18, 14:22:23
Reply #8

jjaz82

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank you for reply, i confirm the modeling are correct, in this photo you can see the vase have two cavity. i saw the vase i real life.

2018-07-18, 15:42:43
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I see. If you plug multimap into refraction slot instead of absorbtion, then you should get much closer look to the actual photo. I guess that means that it's a some coat on the glass instead of glass itself being colored. When you think of it, it seems logical - glass probably can't have different absorption properties if you look at it from the other side.

2018-07-18, 15:45:19
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Besides, if it would be absorbtion, then middle (solid) part would be darkest and walls would be much lighter.

2018-07-18, 17:59:02
Reply #11

jjaz82

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see. If you plug multimap into refraction slot instead of absorbtion, then you should get much closer look to the actual photo. I guess that means that it's a some coat on the glass instead of glass itself being colored. When you think of it, it seems logical - glass probably can't have different absorption properties if you look at it from the other side.
very good reasoning, i try this way.
thank you  romullus :)
i will post my progress

2018-07-19, 17:21:22
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Looks like in the original photo the vases do not have any "absorption" (the glass is clear inside the whole volume) and the insides of the cavities are painted with transparent paint. So no absorption here, just different refraction color (as I think Romullus already suggested).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-07-21, 11:39:12
Reply #13

jjaz82

• Active Users
    • View Profile
after few test this is my result.
for have more control to all parts (blue glass, glass amber, glass clear) i have duplicate colored face and i gave them a thickness and set different materials.

2018-07-21, 16:30:04
Reply #14

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you reduce\disable reflection you will see  similar what you  want. So reflection at glass is interfere to see color. Maybe you should try to make painted glass as deiiferent  material with  less reflection

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/5498/2Z3mi4.jpg  with less reflection and  miltimap color

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/6118/OaKQym.jpg with multisub but reflection is the same, don't know why it's so different.
I find what FOV of camera also slightly change that effect

Sometime i see strange behavior at reflection if i change glossiness to 0.99 render is very different like i change IOR at refraction.

By the way some of your reference image  is cg from 3d model market so they can be fake, and some of them have visible gap
http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/2861/OMfqbe.jpg