Author Topic: House by the Canal [WIP]  (Read 4238 times)

2018-06-21, 19:23:08

vicmds

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My first post here, any criticism is very welcome.

The architecture itself is still an ongoing project, but I rendered a preview showing this stone finish. Turns out the gaps are too wide and my usage of RoundEdges didn't turn out as expected (are there any limitations with RoundEdges and Multi/Sub-Object materials?).

If time permits I'll be tweaking the finer details. There's also a reference photo.

Thanks!

2018-06-25, 16:00:06
Reply #1

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
Just create a deacent texture use both bump and displacement for this. At the moment your solution looks very CGI
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2018-06-26, 17:00:28
Reply #2

vicmds

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes! I should've waited before I started posting haha

It's a different veneer now. I'll try and manage to make it prettier, especially since the variations according to the actual supplier are insane.

I'm taking way, way longer than I should to get on the right path, but it shouldn't matter since I'm not getting paid™ for anything nearly on this level of detail. So it's non-commercial. Doesn't hurt to try and improve.

Attached an IR preview with some progress.

2018-06-26, 18:16:53
Reply #3

louisryko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have to say.. your grass (in the original post) looks excellent!

What was your process?

2018-06-26, 22:39:14
Reply #4

vicmds

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have to say.. your grass (in the original post) looks excellent!

What was your process?

Can't take credit for that!

I started from the excellent meadow by darstellungsart. Edited geometry and the distribution maps and tweaked the materials slightly. I also tend to obsess a little with adjusting the scattering with distance maps. It's CoronaScatter, not FP

2018-07-27, 04:00:43
Reply #5

vicmds

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Since I had to put the stone detail on hold for now, here's a closely related project I thought I'd share.

I think I took post to a different direction than I intended. I'd like to get a cleaner image next time. I may be exaggerating surface imperfections too (only to clean them up in post).