Author Topic: Uncanny Valley Mark V  (Read 12681 times)

2018-06-21, 10:38:41

Fred.M

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi !

Just finished my latest artwork for my Uncanny Valley series consisting of modeling et rendering the most boring places in urban areas, and using the minimum of textures, and post.

So there it is : Only one texture for the "Flunch" logo and procedural noise for the bump on the ground.

2018-06-21, 11:46:30
Reply #1

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
looks still not finished =3

2018-06-22, 20:54:39
Reply #2

apjasko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The uncanny valley is a theory where once something becomes so lifelike/realistic, it starts to produce adverse effects, ie. discomfort or revulsion. Anyway, this image (and those you previously posted on this series) aren't realistic at all. They're distinctly 3d rendered. I'm not sure what your goal is, but if minimalistic is what you're going for, and these are meant to have a realistic feel to provoke the theory of the uncanny valley, then you need to do a lot of work on shaders, lighting, and composition.

What is the goal of this series of images?

Check out this work by Marius Becker. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Y6A1b It's a "boring place in urban area" but if you study his images you can immediately tell there's loads of work in all the areas listed above.

2018-06-24, 17:54:19
Reply #3

Fred.M

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry but the exemple you gave, the render on artstation, is pretty but it screams CGI miles away. It looks fake and handmade with a ton of post process and tacky colour grading, and have no soul.

I know exactly the concept of Uncanny Valley, no need for any lesson here.

My work has no goal, and that's the beauty of it. My main inspirations are artists like Thomad Demand and Hans Op de Beeck.

2018-06-24, 18:33:10
Reply #4

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
apjasko i was thinking what viewport model looks better then render image)

2018-06-24, 18:44:15
Reply #5

Fred.M

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I made this in 2010 with vray at the time :

So please stop lecturing me.

That's the last time I post my work on these forums. Your lack of artistic sensibility is overwhelming.

2018-06-25, 00:02:05
Reply #6

Jadefox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Renderlab
Hi Fred.M

Looking at your last post ( Vray 2010 ) , I just think the guys mean , you can do even better with your current attempt. I mean that looks stunning
Now with your latest work the idea is there but the final touches just needs to be implemented.
We can get so into our own work that we don't want to hear anything bad, I most certainly don't, but its those criticisms that
makes us better artists at the end of the day. Hell my first attempt was put straight into WIP , and I most definitely thought it
was finished : )

Anywhoo don't get negative and give it another go : )

2019-08-07, 02:18:51
Reply #7

daveclive

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That first image is dreadful, do it again and repost

2019-08-07, 02:50:14
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Given that the post is over a year old, why resurrect this particular one?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-08-07, 10:47:11
Reply #9

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A short play to drive unaware through madness into aware state of simply being alive

Uhmmm... for real?

"Do you see a closure?"
"Nope. But there's a hint on which one can assume..."

Well, assumptions, speculations, arrogance... most of the time, they all lead to conflict.

To elevate the matter... a.k.a. The Un-Canny Valley (prequell, an abstract on perception)

Either OP specifically states "Blow you all, I'm out!" or mods/ bots close the thread (it's often automated, after a year of inactivity).
But from the looks I gather there's no auto-bots here working for the community. So with many corpses lying around, it's perfectly natural to expect occasional necromania. Also, inexperinced spirit can easily get confused and mistakenly consider some bodies just being dormant. And it starts occupying its mind.

Note that about such and similar activities there's no general rule or social consensus yet. At least not in school books nor herein forum's guidelines. So it's better not to judge blindly but to prevent future mishaps. Using eye of wisdom by applying knowledge gathered from experience.

If not in past, then after reading this, one can be aware of being experienced. In abstract thought, one travelled the Canny Valley. Just by beleiving, simulating its own flow of CGI produced in brain. Thus noone is dead until its last quant ceases to exist or is simply officially proclaimed & marked as dead.

The End
 :)

2019-08-07, 14:04:12
Reply #10

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, it was worth being resurrected just so we could have that last post :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-08-07, 14:34:38
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Bertstare.jpg ...
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-08-09, 18:37:27
Reply #12

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-08-11, 08:12:09
Reply #13

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
No offense, but that last post read like an AI text generator

2019-08-12, 10:40:32
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
No offense, but that last post read like an AI text generator

Burnin has simply better dealer than the rest of us ;- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!