Author Topic: displacement issue  (Read 2688 times)

2018-04-19, 16:06:35

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
Hey everyone.

On the image attached you will see a displacement happening, however it's not really the same for every wall. Some appear to have it (ceiling) whilst others seem to have no displacement at all. The ceiling, walls and floor are 1 object with all vertecis connected.

I'd like to see equal displacement on all surfaces.

Pixel size for displacement is 1, would prefer to use 2 but okay. The displacement is not in the material shader, but rather with a "CoronaDisplacementMod" on top of the object as a modifier.

Please advise :)

Grts

2018-04-19, 16:38:44
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Can you post your material setup? What kind of map is plugged into the displacement modifier? Any reason why you are using the displacement modifier rather than just displacement map in the material? Does it work fine if used in material?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-04-19, 22:25:10
Reply #2

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
I sent you a PM with the download link. There's commercial stuff in there. So I went a little further in the displacement values and set the displacement to 0.6 pixels but the loading times are unacceptable + to much RAM usage. Also the walls are still different in displacement to my eyes at least so I don't think there's anything wrong in the scene itself i'm just struggling to get the displacement equal on all surfaces.

Let me know :)

2018-04-20, 00:03:34
Reply #3

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Try cellular procedural map with chips and fractal option as displacement map, it may give better result and less RAM consumption

2018-04-20, 11:37:53
Reply #4

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
hey thanks for the input, however the issue is not the quality of the materials, it's a WIP. For now I need to have the displacement overal the same on all the walls, so I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong, so I can continue with refining the material in a good way, being sure it'll show like it should on all kinds of surfaces, vertical or horizontal...

2018-04-20, 14:02:47
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I would suggest to temporarily remove diffuse map to better see what's going on and move the light around the walls to see if it's really displacement issue or it's just current lighting setup is confusing you.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-04-20, 23:13:46
Reply #6

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
I added some tests

2018-04-21, 13:21:38
Reply #7

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
I tried the celullar map shader and it worked fine, then suddenly started displacing in a very weird way.

I changed only the value of the displacement amount in the corona displacement modifier on top of the opbject?

ok solved... minus and plus need to be the same opposites.
« Last Edit: 2018-04-21, 13:27:03 by 3dboomerang »

2018-04-21, 14:03:03
Reply #8

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In celullar map change to chips shape and try to adjust other settings.

Why are you using it as modifier?

2018-04-21, 17:19:26
Reply #9

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
so i can choose which objects have disp and which ones don't - i prefer choosing by object, instead of making 2 materials

2018-04-21, 17:21:07
Reply #10

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
seems to fine now I guess, used same values on the minus and plus side, increased bump and added an AO to get more detail out of it

2018-05-14, 11:02:16
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
(solved over email)
The "issue" is related to the way Corona calculates displacement on faces with high angle difference. Subdividing the main object helps in this case make the result more "as expected".
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us