Author Topic: Beta Tomorrow?  (Read 26630 times)

2017-09-19, 09:58:35
Reply #15

mitchino

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The interactivity looks pretty good, but the first pass or initial picture when changing shaders, geometry etc is really rough compared to Octane for example, then it jumps up a lot in quality on the next pass - is that setting adjustable or does it depend on hardware?

I hope the material stack support isn't too far away - that feature and interactive rendering are what I'm most excited about.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-19, 10:05:09 by mitchino »

2017-09-19, 16:41:04
Reply #16

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
The jump in quality is called undersampling. You'll find that in most renderers with an IPR, also octane has that feature too.
Makes refreshes quicker by using a lower resolution while moving camera, objects or material changes. Then builds up and depends on the scene and hardware used. But you can't expect a CÜU renderer to have the same performance as a GPU renderer. Corona is very fast for it's type.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-19, 19:08:28 by Eddoron »

2017-09-20, 09:51:33
Reply #17

mitchino

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But does hardware affect the initial under sampling? If you have serious multicore processor can you get closer to a GPU based IPR?

2017-09-20, 11:18:50
Reply #18

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
There will be a setting that sets the initial subsampling level. But if you have a serious CPU, you will not have to change it anyway, because you won't be looking at the initial resolution for too long. Look at this video for example (from when the 3DS Max IR was a prototype):

2017-09-20, 14:54:39
Reply #19

mitchino

• Active Users
    • View Profile
what are the cpu specs on that rig?

btw: would be a better clip if they didn't keep moving the camera, let it settle once or twice maybe?

2017-09-20, 17:14:16
Reply #20

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
I don't know what CPU the guy used. About settling the rendering, I think the idea is to show the interactivity, not how it settles :-) But you can watch some other videos on Youtube, they stop moving the camera there. Rule of thumb is, each successive increase of detail will take 3x as much time as the previous one...

2017-09-20, 18:32:28
Reply #21

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
But you can't expect a CÜU renderer to have the same performance as a GPU renderer.
Corona: "hold my beer..."
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-09-21, 08:56:12
Reply #22

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
But you can't expect a CÜU renderer to have the same performance as a GPU renderer.
Corona: "hold my beer..."

You mean like this?

2017-09-22, 19:08:37
Reply #23

Nikola

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

We were quite successful with bug fixing this week, but some bugs remain so we decided to postpone the release of the first testing version with interactive for next week. We created second preview video with a difficult-to-render scene. You can see that change detection is quite fast but the rendering is slower but the same as in non-interactive rendering, as you can see at the end of the video.

Thank you for the patience
Nikola

Preview: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7xyYS3daSJ7SlNmeW5qemlPemM/view?usp=sharing

2017-09-22, 19:50:40
Reply #24

shane_w

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Nikola, thanks for the update and sneak-peek video.  Looks fantastic.  I really appreciate the communication and the short videos, it makes the waiting much easier.

Are those zooming controls I see at the top right of the frame buffer?  I hope so, that will be a very welcome addition.

-Shane

2017-09-22, 20:02:20
Reply #25

mrittman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.mattrittman.com
Thanks for sharing Nikola! Yeah I agree, it's really helpful to see the videos showing progress on this. Can't wait to be able to use it!

2017-09-22, 20:12:49
Reply #26

Ealexander

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • evan alexander
Thank you for keeping us updated!

2017-09-25, 11:10:41
Reply #27

HenrikH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Nicola! I agree as well, I very much appreciate how you show where you are in the progress. Not only with this but with everything, with the road map and all your post in this forum. Thank you! The preview looks very good btw :)

2017-09-25, 14:26:35
Reply #28

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hi Nicola! I agree as well, I very much appreciate how you show where you are in the progress. Not only with this but with everything, with the road map and all your post in this forum. Thank you! The preview looks very good btw :)

Well put! I totally agree :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-09-26, 10:03:03
Reply #29

archimen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,
Do you see anything on the horizon?