Author Topic: Glossiness Texture mix strength...?  (Read 2715 times)

2017-08-15, 15:45:32

iacdxb

• Active Users
  • 3D Deisgner
    • View Profile
    • www.behance.net/iacdxb
Hi,

In metal texture, I added some texture in glossiness texture slot but I did not find its mix strength, I need this texture very slight.

How can I mix this texture very slightly...?

Thanks.

Windows, Cinema 4D 2023.

2017-08-15, 17:16:34
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I think this is a really important option that we are still missing. It just really comes in handy :)

What I usually do is I apply a Filter on top and then either play with the curves or gamma / brightness to brighten it up. Essentially, if you'd just like to mix the texture in a little you'll want to have it less contrasty and whiter.

Less contrast means its probably going to be more evenly spread (aka no spots where its 0% glossy and where its 100% glossy) and then by controlling the overall brightness (you can do that with the curves too) you can control how glossy it actually is.

Ugh... I made it sound complicated but it really isn't.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-08-15, 19:01:43
Reply #2

iacdxb

• Active Users
  • 3D Deisgner
    • View Profile
    • www.behance.net/iacdxb
Thanks. I will try that.
Sure its important, some time in glossiness fresnel shader have to add, so I think its hard to set by filter. I am sure its very important to add strength bar in glossiness.
I hope from developer side... they will notice it and do the needful in daily build beta.

And... there is no roughness bar also....?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-15, 19:14:19 by iacdxb »
Windows, Cinema 4D 2023.

2017-08-16, 12:51:34
Reply #3

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Did you try modifying the the "Value" slider? This should modify the strength with which the glossiness texture influences your material. That said, lower value means less glossy, but what you'd like (if I understand it correctly) would be lowering the influence of the texture while keeping the material almost completely glossy. With the Metal material, you can do this by modifying the colors in the gradient or you can use a filter shader as nkilar said.

But if there's a lot of people who think this might be handy with some additional slider, we'll consider it. Just bear in mind that we try to keep the UI in Corona as simple and orthogonal as possible.

Edit: You can actually use the mix shader wherever you'd like to have a color and a texture and mix them together with the given mode and strength. So you can easily use it here for your purpose!

Regarding the roughness bar: roughness is actually the same as glossiness, because it can be expressed as inverse of glossiness (with some additional exponentiation, but that's not important right now), so if you want black roughness, use white glosiness instead and vice versa...
« Last Edit: 2017-08-16, 12:56:04 by houska »

2017-08-16, 17:20:21
Reply #4

iacdxb

• Active Users
  • 3D Deisgner
    • View Profile
    • www.behance.net/iacdxb
Thanks houska for update.
Mix shader works well as I needed.

Agreed with your idea.... keep UI simple as possible.

Thanks.

Windows, Cinema 4D 2023.