Author Topic: Stacking Materials  (Read 7508 times)

2017-06-27, 17:52:06

reublack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

haven´t found anything about further developments / builds to stack more than 1 material to an object in c4d?
with the standard renderer in c4d it´s possible. is it planned in one of the next builds?

best
B

2017-06-27, 22:32:51
Reply #1

shane_w

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-07-01, 10:54:57
Reply #2

lenogre

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's for me THE priority.

I must stay with AR in a lot of projects just for this function.

When I do exhibition stands, often, I have an image in background (material 00) and a logo with alpha (material 01). I can move move or scale each other easily. I know we can do it with BP but it's so easy with stacking materials.

2017-07-01, 17:51:38
Reply #3

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I do hope that stacking will work with polygon selections, an area where a competitorI used before failed.

2017-07-01, 19:26:29
Reply #4

mrittman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.mattrittman.com
Stacking materials has been on the roadmap for a while now :/ Seems to keep getting pushed back. Any update on how this is coming along?

2017-07-10, 14:46:32
Reply #5

Nikola

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Stacking materials has been on the roadmap for a while now :/ Seems to keep getting pushed back. Any update on how this is coming along?
Hi Matt,

it is connected to changes made because of interactive so it will be implemented when interactive will be mostly ready.

Nikola

2017-09-15, 18:20:58
Reply #6

reublack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any Updates depending to this Topic? Would need it that badly :(

2017-09-15, 20:11:19
Reply #7

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
Any Updates depending to this Topic? Would need it that badly :(

Good morning from the DEV team, guys!

First, let me assure you that nothing at all changed in the development of the C4D plugin since the merge with Chaos Group. We have our roadmap of features that we want to implement and we're working on them as best as we can and nothing about the merger influences that.

Now about the release, we hope we will make it today - yes, some of the features will be missing, for example the material stack support won't make it at all. As for the rest of the features, they will be in the release in a more or less complete way. We are especially looking forward to giving you access to the interactive rendering.

That being said, occasional crashes in the interactive renderer are to be expected, so I wouldn't recommend to use it in production environment (actually, I wouldn't recommend any beta release of any software for production in this regard :-) ). If we didn't have the release date set yet, we would probably spend two more weeks polishing the interactive rendering, but this way we will be able to collect more feedback from you - the real users, while at the same time giving you the possibility to test the IR for yourself for the first time.

Thanks for your continuing support!

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=17443.0

With the IR, the layer shader will be easier to use.

2017-09-15, 20:18:02
Reply #8

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Thank you, Eddoron...

Just an addition to this - as the main focus right now is on finishing the interactive rendering, we didn't have time for the material stacking so far. But judging from the interest of the comunity, material stacking should be our next priority. So as soon as we push out IR in a stable state, we will start implementing it and it shouldn't take anywhere as long as it took us to implement the IR.

2017-09-16, 01:10:21
Reply #9

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And even though you are working with the makers of Vray now - please get it done better than VrayforC4D can do!
Material stacking is not working with polygon selections there, and I really would love to see that within Corona.

2017-09-17, 20:04:38
Reply #10

HenrikH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just an addition to this - as the main focus right now is on finishing the interactive rendering, we didn't have time for the material stacking so far. But judging from the interest of the comunity, material stacking should be our next priority. So as soon as we push out IR in a stable state, we will start implementing it and it shouldn't take anywhere as long as it took us to implement the IR.

Sounds great!
And by the way, i'm very impressed with what you have accomplished so far! Good job!!

2017-09-19, 11:09:39
Reply #11

Konichowaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And even though you are working with the makers of Vray now - please get it done better than VrayforC4D can do!
Material stacking is not working with polygon selections there, and I really would love to see that within Corona.

+1, I also find that very annoying in vrayforc4d...
Koen Van haesendonck
3D-lab - www.3d-lab.be

2017-09-19, 11:11:02
Reply #12

Konichowaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But judging from the interest of the comunity, material stacking should be our next priority.

and shadow catcher ;-)
Koen Van haesendonck
3D-lab - www.3d-lab.be

2017-09-19, 11:22:32
Reply #13

Konichowaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
When I do exhibition stands, often, I have an image in background (material 00) and a logo with alpha (material 01). I can move move or scale each other easily. I know we can do it with BP but it's so easy with stacking materials.

As a fellow exhibition stand renderer, using corona shouldn't stand in the way to do that very easily and controlled. My technique I use all the time is with a plane object at a distance of 0.05cm in front of the wall and apply your alpha material. If you put that plane in a null object with the 0.05cm already applied to the null, you can even quickly snap the null to the wall and be sure the distance is kept. You can instance that null for quickly scale or reposition all logos at the same time.
For the plane, also don't forget to add a compositing tag with shadows disabled so you will never see that it is actually floating in front of the wall.
For round surfaces with stacking I select polygons, split and offset with extrude to get the floating geometry.
just a tip...
Koen Van haesendonck
3D-lab - www.3d-lab.be

2017-09-19, 12:22:30
Reply #14

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
and shadow catcher ;-)

Shadow catcher is already implemented, we just need to test it and release it with the IR ;-)