Author Topic: [fall 2013] Thoughts on development  (Read 26001 times)

2013-09-17, 18:35:50
Reply #15

hglr123

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ondra, you have our support :)
Keep good work mate!

2013-09-17, 18:49:44
Reply #16

rafpug

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I originally wanted to release next alpha version as soon as distributed+interactive rendering features are done, but I have decided for several reasons to cancel Alpha v6 and instead go for first beta release by december 2013 - february 2014.

There will be several changes:
  • New web with direct download, gallery, tutorials, ...
  • New features: participating media, SSS, advanced matte/shadows, new fake system, ...
  • New easy-to-use API for integration into additional software
  • Separate shading api for writing your own shaders.
  • New licencing system. Beta will still be free to use for limited time period, ending some time after the first commercial release.

The main reason for this is that the changes will require rewriting some portion of the core, and don't want to waste time with stabilizing the current build just to overhaul it immediately after.

Daily builds are and will be still available to active testers (you still need to post some good corona renders in the gallery to get in)

Hi Ondra,
Excellent, I will be next to this new render engine .... fast and powerful .

"I just hope not to have problems with the license, because until today the daily build, I can not use it .... but sooner or later this problem will be solved!"

Hah, and there I thought I will lazily keep working within reguler alphas only, I'll guess I'll have to bite the bullet and try dailys. Doing currently third commercial project on this and it's just blast like each time.

Hope you'll be able to grow soon, I remember how faster Octane started developing once he hired people to help out, even starting simply with community manager.
The fundraise through some specific pre-order is good idea, just don't grow bitter when only handful percentage of users buy, but it could be atleast some additional funds for you.

I would wish you luck, but I am already decently addicted on this, so my faith is it will be all great !

Hello Juraj_Talcik
CoronaRenderer is another planet ....!

You have to be optimistic in life

Greats
Raf

2013-09-18, 06:15:25
Reply #17

terry

• Users
    • View Profile
what is the cost of a commercial license?

2013-09-18, 13:38:03
Reply #18

Richy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
With upcoming SSS would be nice to have hair support, to start nice Corona character renders.

2013-09-18, 15:08:28
Reply #19

Oltskul

• Active Users
  • "Whoa, that is lot of boxes!" Adam West
    • View Profile
what is the cost of a commercial license?

Here you go:

is there any possibility of Price Spoiler?  Or sime timeframe for releasing comercial version?

Anyway: Looking forward for purchase!

The price will be competitive, certainly one of the lowest amongst popular renderers. I have more concrete figures in my head, but last time I posted them I got lot of smack from many users (on warez sites, lol), so I will post them when I'll know how the final product will look.

Time frame: I would like to keep free beta going as long as possible, which will probably mean until I run out of development funds. There might be some preorders for discount prices later.

BTW: it took only half hour after posting this until I got another request for daily builds without attached renders. COME ON!
Corona is like some king of addictive game... "Just one... More... Render... Before... Then i will do something... Useful"

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2013-09-19, 09:08:08
Reply #20

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you're doing. I wish you good luck with the beta! as long as things develop the way they have so far, you've already convinced some future customers.

Corona is your brainchild and technically it all seems to be under control. I would however suggest maybe giving some thought to how things are handled publicly. I'm talking about the forums specifically - not trying to diss anyone but a more professional approach might be worth considering once you go commercial.

2013-09-19, 09:15:53
Reply #21

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you're doing. I wish you good luck with the beta! as long as things develop the way they have so far, you've already convinced some future customers.

Corona is your brainchild and technically it all seems to be under control. I would however suggest maybe giving some thought to how things are handled publicly. I'm talking about the forums specifically - not trying to diss anyone but a more professional approach might be worth considering once you go commercial.

Sure, the cold serious formal relationship to customers is exactly what they need. That's what convinced me not to buy a single piece of software from E-on after all :)

2013-09-19, 09:46:38
Reply #22

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

can you be more specific? (In private message if you prefer) I am trying to use different approach from most software vendors, that i would summarize as "no bullshit policy"
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-09-19, 10:10:41
Reply #23

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
I am trying to use different approach from most software vendors

I think it's the right step that will give the greatest dividends!
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2013-09-19, 11:32:57
Reply #24

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think Vkiuru has a point too. No, it shouldn't be "cold formal", but some happy medium is always good way to go ( not pointing at anyone either here ). I know a lot of professional users, not enthusiasts, have very little patience to "community behaviour" on rather semi-official forum.

But it hardly matters now, but he rightfully mentions "future", where friendly/patient moderators are way to go, not just "locals" running amok on everyone.

Anyway, just wanted to support his suggestion, as I too see it valid.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-09-19, 11:52:22
Reply #25

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think Vkiuru has a point too. No, it shouldn't be "cold formal", but some happy medium is always good way to go ( not pointing at anyone either here ). I know a lot of professional users, not enthusiasts, have very little patience to "community behaviour" on rather semi-official forum.

But it hardly matters now, but he rightfully mentions "future", where friendly/patient moderators are way to go, not just "locals" running amok on everyone.

Anyway, just wanted to support his suggestion, as I too see it valid.

Thanks for voicing in Juraj. Yes, I did not mean communication should be clinically dead but things should be dealt with professional courtesy without exceptions. Keymaster seems to be on top of things so I'm sure things will go smoothly :)

2013-09-19, 12:12:44
Reply #26

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Yes, I did not mean communication should be clinically dead but things should be dealt with professional courtesy without exceptions.

It's a bit offtopic here but I want to write something anyways.
I think it's always a bit of a problem to find the right balance. When Corona was pretty unknown and very few users were registered here in the forums it was a bit easier to manage, but as more and more users are asking the same questions again and again (and some people don't seem to be willing to read the 1 or 2 posts before) it's understandable that it might get a bit "unfriendly" once in a while. I've been quitting from some other communities in the past when I noticed that it was forbidden to say something that could in-any-way mislead some people to feel attacked. I think that honest and direct answers are a good thing in a community - but - i think it's a bit harder if something goes commercial, like a render engine.
From my pov: say what you want to say, be honest without too much blabla but don't be rude. If some people can't deal with that - bad luck.

Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-09-19, 12:29:06
Reply #27

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I am speaking for myself now, and sharing my vision, Keymaster may have different opinion, and his word is always the major one:

Once Corona goes commercial i suppose there will be a Main website presentation with shop, gallery, and also appropriate mail channels for information and support, as well as forum independent bug reporting/feature request system. Of course when Corona goes commercial, it will not be sold via forum and support will not be primarily done through forum either. But that does not in any way interfere with forum continuing to exist in same way as now.

Those who do no like forum environment will never have to interact with forum in any way. They will be able to get support, request information or resolve licensing situations via email conversation, which i expect to always be handled in a respectful formal tone. Same will apply for bug reporting and feature requests. So if one does not want to visit forum, they will never have to, and it will not prevent them from using Corona in any way.

At the same time, i hope forum will continue existing in the same form, with exception of removing build distribution and bug reporting parts from it and replacing them with links to appropriate channels, but i do not see anything wrong about sharing official information on forum as well as interacting with users on friendly level.

I am sure most of you know how hard is to reach out to for example Autodesk, and let them know about things in their software that make you life hard, or that could be improved in an innovative manner. They only rarely contribute to their own forums, and if they do, it is usually only regarding to some disastrous mistake they have left to slip through into their software.

I think being able to engage in a constructive discussion directly with the developer(s) of the software is always good for both community and software itself. Especially when users know their input can actually change something, instead of being just time wasted writing down ideas no one will ever read, because marketing department of the corporation has already made up their mind based on a research on how to sell as many new seats as possible.

2013-09-19, 12:52:00
Reply #28

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Yes, I did not mean communication should be clinically dead but things should be dealt with professional courtesy without exceptions.

It's a bit offtopic here but I want to write something anyways.
I think it's always a bit of a problem to find the right balance. When Corona was pretty unknown and very few users were registered here in the forums it was a bit easier to manage, but as more and more users are asking the same questions again and again (and some people don't seem to be willing to read the 1 or 2 posts before) it's understandable that it might get a bit "unfriendly" once in a while. I've been quitting from some other communities in the past when I noticed that it was forbidden to say something that could in-any-way mislead some people to feel attacked. I think that honest and direct answers are a good thing in a community - but - i think it's a bit harder if something goes commercial, like a render engine.
From my pov: say what you want to say, be honest without too much blabla but don't be rude. If some people can't deal with that - bad luck.
ah, you have a good point, I totally forgot about the hugbox syndrome ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-09-19, 14:08:05
Reply #29

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm not sensitive enough to care about words on an internet forum, it was just an idea regarding how your community looks to outside visitors. It's not big enough a deal to go into specifics in public and I already explained my point to Keymaster via PM. I'm completely happy with an active forum full of information and won't bring it up again.