Author Topic: 3dsmax 2018 the lamest one in years...  (Read 24005 times)

2017-04-20, 18:22:36
Reply #15

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Another dud eh? I'm still on 2014; I found 2016 too buggy for me, and I could never get the MCG updates to install (or extension 1, whatever the package was called). That's my only incentive to move on from 14 as the MCG seems cool, but alas it seems I'll never get to use any of it.

2017-08-31, 20:06:19
Reply #16

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH

Good Luck... ;)

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-08-31, 22:05:57
Reply #17

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
In our experience Max 2018 has been great. I would in no way go back to other versions. I would rather just stop doing 3D at that point. There have been so many good improvements since 2014 you are crazy to still be on that. Just my opinion though, I know everyone has specific needs.

2017-09-06, 09:53:41
Reply #18

AndyQ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
if this is the complete list of improvements, this is s**t, pay,pay,pay......
http://www.cgchannel.com/2017/04/autodesk-ships-3ds-max-2018/

It is lame, and they've been lame for the past decade or more as far as I'm concerned, but I will say that this 2018 version seems to perform better with Corona for me Maybe that's something to do with my specific system, I'm not talking render times but just using the UI; the time it takes to display the render setup dialog, the compact material editor, minor things like that. The amount of money they charge each year is ridiculous for the improvements they make - this really is nothing more than a rental, except unlike renting a house we can't decide to rent a better one next week without losing all our home-contents....

2017-10-04, 12:22:26
Reply #19

clemens_at

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-10-04, 13:15:23
Reply #20

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Autodesk have recently started listening to users' requests a lot more these days, I have to say. A year or so ago I posted a request on there for background max file saving, like Photoshop does, so auto-save doesn't interrupt your work any more, and they're actually apparently testing and potentially implementing it, and improving the whole file save time and size process as well.

It's 100% worthwhile making posts on there with suggestions.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-10-12, 12:47:01
Reply #21

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Is anyone else experiencing the issue that you pretty much have to click or drag or enter text fields in max twice for anything to happen? E.g. if you go into the dimensions of an object, click and drag the contents of the box, you expect it to be highlighted so you can change the value. But it doesn't.... you have to click in it manually first, or click + drag twice. This is happening for all of us in the studio...
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-10-12, 12:53:41
Reply #22

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
All the time. we even have unexpected crashes. ..... getting annoyed of Max........

2017-10-12, 12:58:44
Reply #23

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Even panning in 2D zoom mood (Physical and Corona camera)  became a struggle.

2017-10-12, 13:02:10
Reply #24

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Even panning in 2D zoom mood (Physical and Corona camera)  became a struggle.

This was misbehaving for us too initially, until reboots. Now it seems ok. But I think once the coronacamera is out, we can relax.... ? :)
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-11-02, 18:49:41
Reply #25

3di

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I hear Houdini is picking up pace in the industry.  Might have to give it a try.

2017-11-02, 22:54:50
Reply #26

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
Is anyone else experiencing the issue that you pretty much have to click or drag or enter text fields in max twice for anything to happen? E.g. if you go into the dimensions of an object, click and drag the contents of the box, you expect it to be highlighted so you can change the value. But it doesn't.... you have to click in it manually first, or click + drag twice. This is happening for all of us in the studio...

YES! incredibly annoying. The number of times I have accidentally started a render :(

2017-11-03, 09:36:30
Reply #27

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

YES! incredibly annoying. The number of times I have accidentally started a render :(

For me this is happening only in Max 2018, and only in the Render Setup window. So if I, for example, stop rendering in the VFB, and then jump back to Render Setup to change some value, I have to click anywhere inside it first. It's like changing focus to that window first, before anything else can be done.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-11-03, 10:19:56
Reply #28

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
I'm actually having a live teamviewer session with Autodesk support in an hour, and I will show them this behaviour. Although I can't imagine they're not aware of it already. I'm going to run them through all the other stupid issues we've come across too such as the terrible camera selection.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-11-03, 11:54:54
Reply #29

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
so many issues with MAX, and we still keep on paying...........