Author Topic: Multitexture bug fixes ?  (Read 15102 times)

2013-12-20, 14:57:22
Reply #15

kregred

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Edit: Unfortunately max crashes when I acces the material editor with the latest daily build (2013-12-20) . : (
The same, even on an empty scene. And freeze on the transforming vertices  when only one box in the  scene (

2013-12-20, 15:31:05
Reply #16

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I found and fixed a potential bug some today, hopefully next daily build will be more stable
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-02-28, 23:36:25
Reply #17

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
  Hi Ondra, I've got the same problem with that map as Marcus does in that  http://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,2716.0.html post, to clarify things - I'm using Max Design 2014 and corona's dailies (Feb 26 2014 one currently), every rendernode is sse 4.1 capable so no legacy ones. Exactly the same thing happens in my case :( though I cannot say those materials become very dark at the start - they just are getting darker and darker with every new pass from dr nodes until they become darker by some considerable degree . Maybe on some higher pass count that darkening would become even more apparent or maybe if more nodes are used (currently I'm using only 3) the more darker it will get, which would be quite logical as they contribute more and more darkened passes each . Worst of all is, that because of those darkened multitexture using materials, all passes coming from nodes are darker all  parts of rendered image become darker as the render goes on, so currently that map is unusable in dr rendering yet renders fine on single machine. I've got some bad experience with multitexture map while using v-ray some years ago - if I remember correctly it was related to normalmaps not working correctly when used in conjunction with it - but that was quite a while ago and I thought such stupid things are a thing of the past and though that may be so, somehow I'm losing confidence in it again :( so I'm going back to using Multi/Sub-Object material - it is of course, way more cumbersome workflow yet way more predictable/controllable and stable...

Some thoughts :

Maybe it would be better to add support for built-in multi/sub-map or VRayMultiSubTex or even make some corona's one with multiple texture loading capabilities as in multitexture  but with individual map control after loading them as in multi/sub-mapor VRayMultiSubTex. Plus it would be great if that new corona's map could do some loaded texture's colour, hue and brightness variations as Forest Pack's Forest Color,  GroundWiz's Variation Map or Multiscatter's analog does which would be tremendously good for some exterior vegetation and in some cases would make corona's CScatter even more usefull alternative to all of those. It would be even better if that map could show all those used/loaded maps in viewport at the same time as no multi/sub-map nor multitexture nor VRayMultiSubTex can do that and is possible only (as tedious as it may be) by using Multi/Sub-Object material.
 The more I think about some separate corona's multi/sub/variation map the more apparent it becomes that such map is needed, cause till corona got none then you'll constantly need to add support for maps mentioned above not to think of some new and exotic ones of which I'm not aware of, and to think of their constant new features/bugs/updates and such + corona's new ones plus users constantly nagging you for adding support for them or fixing some new bug's/incompatibilities or even worse if some of those exotic maps developer will lose interest in their further development and all your work making them compatible would go for naught - I would go crazy for sure :)  So I think corona's own multi/sub/variation map would be way more controlable solution for both you and the users not to say it would add greatly to corona's quite considerable usefullness.

Maybe I should post that as a feature request from the start, but somehow I've got carried away and wrote this much here :)

2014-02-28, 23:48:21
Reply #18

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
ok, 2 problems:
first, rendering becoming darker when using DR: this is probably because your slaves are missing textures. Unfortunately since Corona DR works differently than Vray, you dont see the problems as clearly with wrong buckets, instead whole picture is becomes wrong, as slaves begin sending results.

multi/submap in corona: I will probably eventually do it, but I didnt have time for it yet, and also I dont want to force some kind of workflow on users when not necessary, so it is important all those other maps are supported as well.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-03-01, 00:59:07
Reply #19

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
ok, 2 problems:
first, rendering becoming darker when using DR: this is probably because your slaves are missing textures. Unfortunately since Corona DR works differently than Vray, you dont see the problems as clearly with wrong buckets, instead whole picture is becomes wrong, as slaves begin sending results.

multi/submap in corona: I will probably eventually do it, but I didnt have time for it yet, and also I dont want to force some kind of workflow on users when not necessary, so it is important all those other maps are supported as well.

1 - well that was my first guess too and it was the first thing I've checked :) but nodes do render that material without any darkening problems (at least two of them what are licenced and can render that on their own) - they just don't render that in dr and maybe that's not even corona's fault. Look here http://www.ylilammi.com/2013/09/berconmaps/ - that's that map's makers website (you probably been there already but still) and though tile map of course isn't the same as multitexture but some time ago it had some problems wit DR as stated in version history below, so maybe not just tile map but multitexture too got some similar problems - who knows. 

2 - It's your choice and I (and I think many people) would be happy if you could fully support as many as those maps/features as there are, I'm just concerned that maybe supporting all of them takes away too much of your time which you could spend on polishing corona itself - after all you're not some big team and more like a one man band :) (there are quite a few good ones btw) So imho, making corona's multi/sub/variation map could free your time in a long run, cause people would have something to replace such maps with, when transferring their workflow to corona and imho supporting that map made by yourself would be way easier than supporting dozens of different ones (some of which you may never heard of until some one requested it) adding support for those maps later on when things gets more stable. Not to say corona would be more self sufficient that way and not dependant on some third party plugins - yes, VrayHdri, I'm looking your way :) But that's for you to decide of course :)     
« Last Edit: 2014-03-01, 01:09:10 by antanas »