Author Topic: Corona in VFX / Experiences and conclusions  (Read 25074 times)

2017-03-08, 20:58:27

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys. It's been a while i don't post anything here. Actually i have never posted any work images until now.
Because Vfx content is tricky on the ownership side of things i only showed these to Keymaster privately but heck..is been a while now and we have something called fair use :).

I also hope my fellow vfx corona users could contribute, discuss and push with more impetu on this threat and on the feautures threat for things that Corona might be missing for vfx work.

These images are the result combination of multiple corona passes and ps work in a nuke setup of mutiple camera projections. in some cases is a final frame before comp and in others a wide cam rendered out of nuke before cropping or adding fx, characters and stuff like that.
Using Corona in these type of work wasn't as easy as it might look. Generally there is no support for tools that fall so far from the established pipeline but sometimes there is no other choice that to go for it. Corona did excel in the times i could use it despite its shorcomings. Once proven useful we actually managed to pull many many shots out in no time and that was having zero render nodes.

Images belong to:
Dawn of the planet of the Apes / 2014
Godzilla /2014
The hobbit trilogy / 2012-2014 ( changing from vray to Corona at the time )
Star trek beyond / 2016

In the future i'll try to post from newer shows :)

Cheers

2017-03-09, 01:42:37
Reply #1

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Didnt think corona was used on any big film!! Really nice works :)

2017-03-09, 02:26:37
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hypnotising landscape :- ) Any chance of small gif from that ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-03-09, 07:28:18
Reply #3

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
... Vfx content is tricky on the ownership side of things i only showed these to Keymaster privately but heck..is been a while now and we have something called fair use :).
Images belong to:
Dawn of the planet of the Apes / 2014
Godzilla /2014
The hobbit trilogy / 2012-2014 ( changing from vray to Corona at the time )
Star trek beyond / 2016
wow, that's cool! congrats for you and Ondra :D
never knew that corona has been used in movies since 2014? or am I misunderstood something?
upload the animation views please :)
just curious, please tell us more what about the tricky side of vfx contents ownership from movies?

2017-03-09, 09:11:33
Reply #4

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

2017-03-09, 10:36:35
Reply #5

AdamHotovy

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Corona Heisenberg
    • View Profile
    • Corona Renderer
Thank you chilombiano! This means a lot for us, really!
I like turtles.

2017-03-09, 11:22:03
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Hi,

there's currently general consensus that the last few major features Corona is missing for VFX are Non-homogenous volumetrics, such as clouds or fire/smoke simulations, hair rendering, skin shader and out-of-core rendering (rendering over RAM limit). Aside from these, what else do you think Corona is missing to be VFX ready?

2017-03-09, 13:11:59
Reply #7

leocv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My behance portfolio
Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing these.
Really inspiring!
KISS Principle
Keep it simple, stupid!

www.behance.net/leonardovieira

2017-03-09, 16:49:49
Reply #8

jjaz82

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing Works.. congratz :O

2017-03-09, 18:56:55
Reply #9

eduard.caliman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Whell, I'll be damned. Not surprising to be honest, Corona was always destined for greatness :)

2017-03-09, 20:27:50
Reply #10

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys. thank you for the kind comments!.

I don't know if i could post animations but will post soon snapshots of the final shots as they were realeased. don't know about anim gifs :)

Christa. The thing about content ownership is that whatever you produce in house for film generally belongs to the Studio ( like FOX ) and they allow vfx houses to use the content for marketing and all but for us mere mortals is not so easy even if you actually did the work. but as long as you are not profiting with the images ( like selling postards :) )  its not an issue. For a  professional gathering like this forum i would asumme its ok ( hence "fair use" ).

Ravalanche!
Well that's the juicy question right there. I just got my licence for 1.5 and have been very happy since. ( all the stuff i posted we used A5 and A6! ). But not a day had passed and i find myself forced to pick Arnold because there is a Client doing a sequence that involves multiple types of work like fx sims, lighting and so on. I do environments and generally doesn't matter what i use as they plug into the comp end parallel to everything but clients require sometimes a consistent solution across diferent fields. For example this case i mention has a big sim done in houdini and there is lighting work done in maya i think ( diferent freelancers, etc whatever ) and the sims in this particular case interact with the environment in a way that makes it no so easy to just comp resulting renders from difrent packages.  So the client wants to see his sims and all looking awesome and consistent with other env work we have done using Corona and Pumm!. no can't do. No openVDB support and then everything goes downhill from there and i have to start using Arnold which is an amazing tool but damn is so far from ''rendering is magic'' and figure out now how to do without my lovely corona scatter and to make a simple material ..hehe, you get the idea.

I personaly dont need VDB support and all that stuff. but not having it gives to situations where you might end ditching Corona out of the pipeline even if Corona was already the best tool for the bulk of the work. So that's one.

The other big one  is not having EXR 2.0 supported. Its a similar problem. Is not something you might need much in many cases ( i personally can get away old school for comping elements ) but there are cases deep data is requeried due the way a pipeline is built. and it is a powerfull tool when you are dealing not with a super good looking single image but with hundreds of shots.

I think those two can be considered basic pipeline compatibility tools.

The ones you mention are of course key things as core rendering /shading elements.  Heterogeneous volumetrics absolutely. I would add a Thin layer shader into the list and maybe get some ideas from Arnold's SSS shader and they way is implemented.
And if Ondra can bring back the ReflOcl pass that would be swell :).

I think the rest are just little day to day goodies that make using the tool a pleasure or that overcomes Max own pretty much dead development like interface things and the sort. Is not missing much there really.
Zdepth pass could have separate X Y Z controls. that's handy.
Being able to lock to camera certain Corona scatter values like rotation.
A killer multi camera projection shader maybe.
Little stuff like that :)

Anyway. I do think Corona can maintain its elegance and fit much better in a vfx pipeline with very few key additions. i don't think it needs to go overboard and be like Arnold to be widely embraced in Vfx but it could easily blow out of the water some mayor tools for medium size projects, specific types of sequences, comercials, etc. by adressing those additions.

2017-03-10, 09:18:07
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
damn, another vote for OpenVDB... it is starting to look inevitable for 1.7 ;)
doing the old reflection occlusion would be easy, we can actually squeeze that into 1.6.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-03-10, 09:35:17
Reply #12

companioncube

• Users
    • View Profile
just curious, where were you working when you did these? just surprised and assumed the VFX houses that worked on those films where using maya and other renderers. i know star trek had some  max/vray but the others i didn't know.

2017-03-10, 09:52:59
Reply #13

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
damn, another vote for OpenVDB... it is starting to look inevitable for 1.7 ;)

2017-03-10, 10:08:47
Reply #14

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hats off, sir, that's some amazing work!