Author Topic: save image settings  (Read 8210 times)

2017-02-28, 20:37:58

STRAT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • sjleworthy.com
Hi guys

Is the only way to save a rendered image through the VFB?

Reason i ask is because i cant find any settings to adjust for the various file outputs (ie, JPG,TIFF, TGA etc etc).  Whilst i appreciate the best setting is probably a 32 bit EXR output,  i sometimes like to save proofs out direct as JPG or TIFF files.  Problem is the JPG compression is awful and the TIFF only saves as 8 bit and not 16.  In Vray you could use C4D's main Render Settings or Picture Viewer settings, which had full control over output.

where can i make these adjustments in Corona?

thank you
« Last Edit: 2017-02-28, 21:21:34 by Steve Leworthy »

2017-02-28, 21:10:42
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Anything in the VFB should also be in the Picture Viewer and you can save it out from there if that works in the meantime?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-02-28, 21:19:50
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I couldn't see it being reported anywhere previously, so I created ticket 2506 for it just so it isn't overlooked.
https://corona-renderer.com/bugs/view.php?id=2506

2017-02-28, 21:20:52
Reply #3

STRAT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • sjleworthy.com
trouble is the standard c4d picture viewer renders nothing like the corona vfb

2017-02-28, 21:21:41
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you share more on that? The two are in sync here and look the same - applying tone mapping etc in one shows up in the other.

2017-02-28, 21:45:45
Reply #5

shane_w

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can confirm, Cinema's buffer is always darker then the Corona VFB.

V18 OSX A6.2

2017-03-01, 11:12:51
Reply #6

rendart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I also have a darker image in the Cinema's buffer.
V17 OSX A6.1

2017-06-14, 12:54:04
Reply #7

anton taf

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello guys. I don't know if you discussed this before or if it's a known issue (or if I'm doing something wrong).

When I save EXR file from the corona VFB I get a weird result at the edges of the alpha channel of the image when opening in Photoshop (see image below)
When I save the same render from the Picture viewer in EXR, it is fine.
When I save it from VFB in CXR and then save it from the Corona Image Editor in EXR, it is again fine.

I'm I doing something wrong with the Alpha channel here? Thanks

2017-06-15, 10:26:41
Reply #8

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
trouble is the standard c4d picture viewer renders nothing like the corona vfb

Hi Strat, good to see you over here. I dont notice a difference between the two (windows) but sometimes there is a big lag on bloom and glare between the two frame buffers. If you are using multipass and light mix that can lead to confusion as you need to switch to the light mix layer in the c4d pv to see the same result. Its not the most seamless of systems. Might be worth switching through the layers in the C4D pv to see if the lighter version is in there.

I have also requested better output options from the VFB in the main feature requests section in the past as the VFB ones are pretty lame. You either have EXR which generates files of 5GB with high res images with lots of layers. Or flat 8 bit tiffs or jpegs and even the jpegs are no good for drafts as there is way too much compression on them compared to C4Ds output. I just wish they would give us native 16bit PSD or Tiff output directly from the VFB and we can dispense with C4Ds VFB all together and save the devs the job of having to sync it. Might also save some RAM?

I also wish at the same time the scene can be converted from linear space to sRGB so we dont get caught out in PS. I find whilst it can be nice to edit in linear and the effects are more subtle when you come to export at the end there can be some nasty unexpected colour shifts. If you start your editing in sRGB in PS generally you get what you see at the end once exported. I think others have asked for this in the past on the MAX side as well.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-15, 10:30:36 by Rhodesy »

2017-06-21, 11:15:03
Reply #9

Behrendt

• Active Users
  • I'm a freelance 3D Artist from Cologne/Germany
    • View Profile
    • My online portfolio
Hello guys. I don't know if you discussed this before or if it's a known issue (or if I'm doing something wrong).

When I save EXR file from the corona VFB I get a weird result at the edges of the alpha channel of the image when opening in Photoshop (see image below)
When I save the same render from the Picture viewer in EXR, it is fine.
When I save it from VFB in CXR and then save it from the Corona Image Editor in EXR, it is again fine.

I'm I doing something wrong with the Alpha channel here? Thanks
I have encountered the same problem with the alpha. Are we doing something wrong?

2017-06-28, 12:54:59
Reply #10

Nikola

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

This problem is caused by the use of premultiplied alpha. CXR format uses premultiplied alpha (because standard states), but EXR format doesn't use it. We have an internal task to decide how to solve this problem that somewhere is used premultiplied alpha and somewhere is not so it must be decided first before any changes to Corona for Cinema 4D (or core) will be made.

Nikola