Author Topic: holding displacement in memory?  (Read 6226 times)

2017-02-21, 09:49:42

karklinskarlis1993

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi,

i was wondering, is it possible to speed up displacement workflow, for example on baking it in?

you work on scene, where you have to see displacement behavior with light and objects so it has to be on every single tweak, but it is nonsense to wait for these long chokes on "building scene", as it is slow if you happen to render it on pretty high res.

when i am satisfied with displacement look on floor i would like to somehow keep it that way, so it doesnt have to recalculate on every single preview as i am doing them like 5 times a minute. i was seeing this scenario - on displacement hold calculation time on particular scene is about 15seconds, when without - about 3seconds. thats a LOT!

i have seen on octane (example) somehow displacement doesnt have to calculate on every tweak with long in-betweens, it manages to somehow hold it on and still showing realtime result.

any ideas? future integrations?
« Last Edit: 2017-02-21, 09:54:16 by karklinskarlis1993 »

2017-02-21, 09:55:35
Reply #1

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
hi,

i was wondering, is it possible to speed up displacement workflow, for example on baking it in?

you work on scene, where you have to see displacement behavior with light and objects so it has to be on every single tweak, but it is nonsense to wait for these long chokes on "building scene", as it is slow if you happen to render it on pretty high res.

when i am satisfied with displacement look on floor i would like to somehow keep it that way, so it doesnt have to recalculate on every single preview as i am doing them like 5 times a minute. i was seeing this scenario - on displacement hold calculation time on particular scene is about 15seconds, when without - about 3seconds. thats a LOT!

i have seen on octane (example) somehow displacement doesnt have to calculate on every tweak with long in-betweens, it manages to somehow hold it on and still showing realtime result.

any ideas? future integrations?

I confirm that Octane's Displacement is one of the fastest ones out there!

Dionysios -

2017-02-21, 10:03:39
Reply #2

karklinskarlis1993

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yeah, few days ago i tried octane and displacement really had me up. other than that, corona is pure and only love.

2017-02-21, 10:35:45
Reply #3

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
yeah, few days ago i tried octane and displacement really had me up. other than that, corona is pure and only love.

I agree!!!!

2017-02-21, 11:29:54
Reply #4

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's been mentioned before a couple of times. In these threads:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,10493.msg66989.html#msg66989

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,12601.msg81531.html#msg81531

In the second thread Ondra has a tip for turning a Corona displaced mesh into a proxy so that it can be loaded back into your scene and not have to be recalculated every time.
I still thing a checkbox option to cache a displaced mesh would be nice.

2017-02-21, 11:32:43
Reply #5

karklinskarlis1993

• Active Users
    • View Profile

In the second thread Ondra has a tip for turning a Corona displaced mesh into a proxy so that it can be loaded back into your scene and not have to be recalculated every time.

i dont think it would work on c4d's corona, as i already tried proxying. would you suggest baking displaced texture on object completely?
« Last Edit: 2017-02-21, 11:40:08 by karklinskarlis1993 »

2017-02-21, 11:42:18
Reply #6

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i dont think it would work on c4d coronas, as i already tried proxying. would you suggest baking displaced texture on object completely?

Sorry, I missed that this was a C4D thread. I can't be of too much use then. I don't know if there's an equivalent method for C4D - Isn't there the option to export the scene from C4D in it's entirety?

The 3ds Max method relies on exporting the entire scene (I suppose the typical intention is to go to a standalone). The export process then triggers the displacement calculations and bakes them into the proxies saved.
These proxies can the be loaded into your scene in place of the current objects with displacement.

2017-02-21, 11:49:26
Reply #7

karklinskarlis1993

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks for respond. good thoughts,..

"The export process then triggers the displacement calculations and bakes them into the proxies saved."

are saying i can bake displacement tex into models in this way?

i will give it a try later on.

cant wait to see IPR in action soon! really hope for some solution on working with displacement materials.

2017-02-21, 11:49:55
Reply #8

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging

Didn't knew anything about it! Great tip!!!!!!! +1000!

2017-02-21, 12:12:57
Reply #9

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
are saying i can bake displacement tex into models in this way?

You can in 3ds Max. I'm afraid I don't know anything about C4D but am just guessing that a similar export process may exist that you can use to the same effect.

2017-02-21, 13:39:46
Reply #10

karklinskarlis1993

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank you guys for responding!

i will wait for developer team for some info..