Author Topic: Coming soon - The Boundary interview  (Read 5204 times)

2016-11-17, 20:40:30

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Want to know what it is like working in the arch-viz industry? In some new videos, you'll hear from leading names on topics like: how they got started; their advice for newcomers; their thoughts on the future direction of the industry; and more! Watch the trailer for our first video which will be coming soon, with Peter Guthrie and Henry Goss from The Boundary

(expect the full video early next week!)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-11-18, 05:52:35
Reply #1

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Gonna be interesting! Can't wait!

2016-11-18, 09:16:12
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Now this will be very interesting. I have a similar workflow to those guys in my personal work. Ive been using sketchup for about 10 years and Henry is right, its an absolute joy to model in. So easy and simple its like drafting in 3D and theres minimal mouse clicks involved unlike Max. Sure ill take it into max for lighting and rendering but it doesnt half make things difficult.

Ive been saying to my boss how good sketchup is for the last 2 years and i meet the same reaction every time. Laughter haha.
What does he know hahaha.

I cannot wait to see the rest of this :D

« Last Edit: 2016-11-18, 09:28:34 by jpjapers »

2016-11-22, 03:38:29
Reply #3

ihabkal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hope you are doing clean sketchup models, the ones I am getting from people are crap, and they turned me from a person who says max and sketchup are both great, to saying sketchup is shit. Not because of sketchup, it s a great product, but because of the output to max and how faces get flipped, and 3d trees have a million separate polygons that take hours to delete in max.
Max is better and cleaner modelling, the marketing they did for sketchup is the only reason it's so widespread, that and the price and ease of use.
The 2 materials per face sucks. every model I get I need to spend hours selecting faces and reassigning materials per face.
the pipeline sketchup to max is shit.
I now think every client who sends me sketchup files is mainly trying to stab me int he heart.

2016-11-22, 10:05:09
Reply #4

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hope you are doing clean sketchup models, the ones I am getting from people are crap, and they turned me from a person who says max and sketchup are both great, to saying sketchup is shit. Not because of sketchup, it s a great product, but because of the output to max and how faces get flipped, and 3d trees have a million separate polygons that take hours to delete in max.
Max is better and cleaner modelling, the marketing they did for sketchup is the only reason it's so widespread, that and the price and ease of use.
The 2 materials per face sucks. every model I get I need to spend hours selecting faces and reassigning materials per face.
the pipeline sketchup to max is shit.
I now think every client who sends me sketchup files is mainly trying to stab me int he heart.

The faces only get flipped if the person in sketchup isnt modelling properly. If you know what youre doing or you follow some sort of standards the output to max is very clean.

2016-11-22, 10:53:01
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Like ihabkal i've yet to see clean model from sketchup. Not that i'm dealing with skethup models often, but when i stumble upon one of them, experience almost always is dreadful.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-11-22, 11:57:30
Reply #6

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, most models I receive that are made in SketchUp are really bad made, but then again: so is some (a lot) models made in Max :(

In the end it's all about knowledge and skills.

2016-11-22, 12:32:48
Reply #7

Edvinas

• Active Users
  • CGI artist with architectural background
    • View Profile
    • Bloorise
Thats not a sketchup what makes models bad and incorrect. Like in any other software.

I am using both sketchup and 3ds max for 7 years and there is no any better software than sketchup to model architecture. It's way more precise than max. And I think this is what Boundary guys wanted to say – architecture and simple poly objects,  thats it. When it comes to more complex objects, max is the way.
® Bloorise
Behance: https://behance.com/bloorise

2016-11-22, 13:31:50
Reply #8

sunlooksgreen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think people are mixing things; all the pain people express here is because the port to max is painful, and indeed it is. Should there be a working plug-in for sketchup nobody would complain.

As an architect -and I've tried many- sketchup is by leaps and bounds the most enjoyable experience to project. The thing here is the market is making a transition to in-home made models and renders as architectural structures grow bigger, fusion and concentrate. So the challenge here is to provide the tools simplicity flexibility and speed to get nice images without the need to go through complex transitions (aka port to 3DS max) and external actors. So the way I see it, programs like revit and sketchup should be a top priority for people trying to develop rendering engines for archviz. Just my 2 cents ;)

2016-11-22, 13:53:41
Reply #9

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not mixing anything up. What I'm saying is that it's more about people doing a shitty job than what software they are using..

2016-11-22, 16:28:18
Reply #10

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not mixing anything up. What I'm saying is that it's more about people doing a shitty job than what software they are using..

Agreed
Its a great bit of software for architecture i think that because its so approachable alot of people use it when they dont know alot about 3d workflows and practices.

Also the port to max works fine IMO. If you properly utilise groups and components in sketchup, your scene is pretty well organised from a straight skp import...

I built this in sketchup. Space mountain from Disneyland Paris. Its an ooooold ass render from a fair few years ago now. Mental ray infact. But It was modelled in sketchup and rendered in max and i had no problems with the port into max.
« Last Edit: 2016-11-22, 16:33:31 by jpjapers »