Author Topic: Mapped IOR?  (Read 1847 times)

2016-10-31, 19:12:55

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey there,

so I've been doing some experiments with mapped fresnel IOR after looking at this old thread
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=4602.0
, but I'm running into some issues. Maybe something has changed since this thread?

No matter what constant fresnel IOR value I set, the mapped black value always comes out as 999 IOR and the white value always comes out to 1.

Just looking for some clarification. From what I interpreted out of that thread is that if i set my constant ior value to 5, the white values in my maps should also be IOR 5 and blacks should be 1.

But that's not what I'm seeing from my tests. Am I missing something?

2016-10-31, 20:09:37
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes, IOR mapping was changed to be consistent with other packages. Now IOR is mapped as 1/x. So when your input is white, IOR is 1/1=1 and when input is black, IOR is 1/0,00..1=100..0->999
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-10-31, 20:23:58
Reply #2

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Alright, cool.

So if i wanted a specific IOR represented in my map.. what's the most accurate method of converting a specific IOR in that range to a grey value?

edit* nevermind I'm dumb, I was overthinking it way too much. You just divide 255 by whatever IOR value you are aiming for.

edit 2 And load bitmap as gamma 1.0.... for anyone else who may search for this later

« Last Edit: 2016-10-31, 20:51:32 by mferster »