Author Topic: Which parameters or tooltips are hardest to understand?  (Read 14248 times)

2016-10-27, 14:42:54

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all!

We have an energetic topic going on about making Corona easier to use, but it will need to be turned into actionable items. I'd like to start with the question - which parameters or tooltips do you find hardest to understand? Is there one you've never touched because you don't know what it is, but wonder if you are missing out on some feature or control? Is there a tooltip that always left you scratching your head when you read it?

Please keep the conversation to a simple list of parameters and any comments on the tooltips for those - this will allow two possible solutions, either improved tooltips to make things clearer, or as a guide to new tutorials we could work on to clarify things. All other conversation on easy / expert UI checkboxes, adding or removing parameters, re-arranging the UI etc can be done elsewhere, to help keep us get the best info on where tooltip improvements and / or tutorials would be useful!

Thanks!
   Tom
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-10-27, 16:44:20
Reply #1

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
Currently, my render elements include CESSENTIAL_Reflect. That's it. It suits my workflow to keep the PP as simple as possible. (due to constant revisions/simplicity)
I'm ignorant of the function for a lot of these other R.E's? Beside the obvious ones...
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2016-10-27, 20:28:08
Reply #2

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
After LightMix i don't use Beauty at all in interiors and night shots. Every time when I add some new lighting to the scene I need to do new setup for LightMix. It's simle to pick automatic setup, but after this I need to denoise every element. May be default denoising for elements must be on if Beauty has denoising? It's strange to keep Beauty with denoise and lightmix without. Yes, I know about memory problem, but who needs LightMix with noise?

2016-10-27, 20:47:56
Reply #3

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
CoronaData is impossible for understanding at all.

CoronaMix Material, Why it keep existing bitmap in top layer and not in base layer?
Why we have a pin vivid and so on blending modes, and don't have a color mode. Some other modes have names not corresponding photoshop names. "Add" for example. In some soft it's equivalent to screen mode, but you have screen mode here. What is AddSub.? What is use case for max, min, gamma modes and so on. There are no tooltips at all.

2016-10-28, 11:26:51
Reply #4

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
CoronaData is impossible for understanding at all.

CoronaMix Material, Why it keep existing bitmap in top layer and not in base layer?
Why we have a pin vivid and so on blending modes, and don't have a color mode. Some other modes have names not corresponding photoshop names. "Add" for example. In some soft it's equivalent to screen mode, but you have screen mode here. What is AddSub.? What is use case for max, min, gamma modes and so on. There are no tooltips at all.
Corona Data is for debugging or analytical purposes, you won't need it I guess.

As for the modes, why do you insist that they have to be identical to PS? Photoshop doesn't have true Add mode for example, and Screen and Add aren't the same thing.
If you want to understand them and how they're useful, why not just take the time and test them...? You certainly didn't need tooltips in PS in order to use them and probably just tried what they do. If you really need to know what they do, look it up on google, there's a lot of info what blending modes do and how they work.

2016-10-29, 04:24:57
Reply #5

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's been discussed before but I find the whole relationship between CoronaCameraMod, RenderSettings, PhysicalCamera and finally the VFB messy to understand. I understand there is a hierarchy but I keep forgetting the order as it feels inconsistent.

2016-10-29, 05:10:11
Reply #6

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tom,

After reading some other threads on similar/the same topic and thinking about it for a bit, I think the next step in terms of making Corona simpler it is not really so much about certain buttons, etc. as it is about workflow. Like in the previous post I made above, ideally there shouldn't be a question on which way is the best in order to accomplish something, it is then not simple anymore.

Whenever I read posts with skilled users arguing of which way is best to place a car against a road backplate, expose a scene or other in theory basic tasks, it to me indicates that things could be simplified. Not the tools or options themselves perhaps, but the workflow.

2016-10-29, 12:39:32
Reply #7

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tom,

After reading some other threads on similar/the same topic and thinking about it for a bit, I think the next step in terms of making Corona simpler it is not really so much about certain buttons, etc. as it is about workflow. Like in the previous post I made above, ideally there shouldn't be a question on which way is the best in order to accomplish something, it is then not simple anymore.

Whenever I read posts with skilled users arguing of which way is best to place a car against a road backplate, expose a scene or other in theory basic tasks, it to me indicates that things could be simplified. Not the tools or options themselves perhaps, but the workflow.

The problem is that everybody has his own workflow. So corona can't be to restrictive by adopting one way... It's a quite difficult question.

I would start by eliminate redundancy. ex: Depth of field ->camera mod -> physical camera -> render settings..

2016-10-29, 14:25:18
Reply #8

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Honestly i think that thread could be addressed with a simple video tutorial series explaining each feature and what it could do.
Im surprised nobody has jumped on the bandwagon and submitted one to digital tutors yet quite frankly!

2016-10-29, 15:51:02
Reply #9

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
Honestly i think that thread could be addressed with a simple video tutorial series explaining each feature and what it could do.
Im surprised nobody has jumped on the bandwagon and submitted one to digital tutors yet quite frankly!

It's not so useful. Usually I am looking for 5% of info, but I need to see whole tutorial. May be 2 min. tutorials.

2016-10-29, 16:53:45
Reply #10

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-10-29, 17:27:16
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It's not so useful. Usually I am looking for 5% of info, but I need to see whole tutorial. May be 2 min. tutorials.
That's actually an idea we have come up with recently. Instead of text + a series of images with explanations, one very short video demonstrating each feature.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-10-29, 17:51:24
Reply #12

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's actually an idea we have come up with recently. Instead of text + a series of images with explanations, one very short video demonstrating each feature.

The original set you guys did with 1.0 (ish) were very useful!

2016-10-29, 18:05:24
Reply #13

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A series of very short videos on as many topics as possible would be wonderful as a quick reference.

2016-10-29, 23:45:13
Reply #14

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
@TomG @Maru

There is some bug in https://corona-renderer.com/doc/ in General Settings where Render selected - mode "disable" at the right.

Same help for materials would be a useful thing.

BTW what is it Hotfix1?
« Last Edit: 2016-10-29, 23:49:22 by astudio »