Author Topic: Stubborn fireflies when using HDRI in Reflections Override  (Read 13009 times)

2016-09-19, 17:18:24
Reply #15

Dippndots

• Active Users
  • Alex Fagan Co-Founder at The Faction
    • View Profile
    • The Faction

2016-09-20, 11:38:46
Reply #16

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Confirmed in the support ticket. Will create a proper report
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-03-21, 15:04:44
Reply #17

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-03-23, 01:58:49
Reply #18

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Is this solved ?

Or just noticed ? I might have scene with issue like this.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-03-23, 09:58:07
Reply #19

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
not resolved yet, but we want to minimize number of bug reports by removing duplicates
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-03-24, 21:05:16
Reply #20

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is this solved ?

Or just noticed ? I might have scene with issue like this.

Hello

I had the same problem with the scenes where I wanted to lit scene with Corona sky and reflections taken from HDRi map. For my case I found pretty simple solution: I've just saved hdr image as jpg, and then used it to override Direct visibility/Reflections/Refractions - it makes reflections to clean muuuuch faster. I like to use Vray HDRi map, I have rotation of a map it rigged to the Corona sun in my scene, so I can simply rotate corona sun (inside of day light system) and get correct rotation of environment map in Vray HDRi. Tweaking settings of Inverse gamma and Overall mult with JPG sky I've got picture pretty much the same as I get using HDRi map. Check attached pictures - tests made with VisPeople's and No Emotion's HDRis. In both cases I used Corona sky+sun for lighting and hdri/jpg for Direct visibility/Reflections/Refractions override technic. Also you can find Vray HDRi settings for both skies in hdr and jpg formats.

Hope, this solution will help you and others, who have the same problem
« Last Edit: 2017-03-24, 21:09:47 by Bormax »

2017-03-27, 13:38:18
Reply #21

Dippndots

• Active Users
  • Alex Fagan Co-Founder at The Faction
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
Thanks Bormax, unfortunately that solution doesn't work when your're looking at the sun like I am with a problem scene at the moment, there just isn't enough dynamic range in jpegs, or 16-bit TIFs :(

2018-07-27, 22:51:44
Reply #22

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
I had the same problem with the scenes where I wanted to lit scene with Corona sky and reflections taken from HDRi map. For my case I found pretty simple solution: I've just saved hdr image as jpg, and then used it to override Direct visibility/Reflections/Refractions - it makes reflections to clean muuuuch faster.

Just want to say that comparing a jpg file to a hdr file is like comparing a banana to a pumpkin seed. Sure they are both things you can eat, but they are fundamentally different types of objects. By using an LDR image file format such as jpg as an image based spherical light source, you are killing all values above 1 which makes the image way less photoreal, and you are potentially using incorrect gamma. And if you are tuning all of your shaders to react to a jpg file, you will potentially be making them too bright because you are trying to compensate for a loss of energy from bright light sources like the sun.

If you want to see if the hdr file format is broken, you should be comparing it to an exr file of the same bit depth.