Author Topic: Problem with HiRes Renderings  (Read 6549 times)

2016-06-16, 11:03:57

babumbol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Rendering HiRes Images (DIN A0 300dpi f.e.) brings Corona to a crawl. Sometimes it never really starts. On a machine with 16 GB, HiRes Images don't really start at all. Same scene on a 32 GB system sometimes does the job. Having 64 GB makes rendering of complex scenes (millions of polygons, complex materials & light situations, etc.) possible, but it takes hours/days.

2016-06-16, 11:19:19
Reply #1

CASA_MT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you try using the blow-up render method? A0 at 300 DPI has a resolution of 14043x9933 pixels, that is quite a lot even for 32 GB of RAM, especially when also using render-elements.
Did you use as many proxies, instances as possible?

You can find a manual here for Blow-Ups here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Rendering-High-Resolution-Images.html

2016-06-16, 12:07:59
Reply #2

babumbol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The blow-up method (render regions in c4d), didn't work. Nor did simplifying the scenes and using proxies help getting the rendering on track. What bugs me is the time it even needs to render. It's not like quadruple render times. It's like 24 hours preparing the render.

Another 3D guy told me he had no problems with such resolutions with Corona in 3DS Max, but at the same time in C4D, too (he uses both packages). So maybe it is a C4D related problem? Although I never had problems like these with VRayforC4D. This could be related to the bucket rendering method of VRay.

Nonetheless, being able to render high res renderings with corona would be really great :)

2016-06-16, 18:12:10
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona will not report if it ran out of RAM. As your problem sounds like it.
Look at task manager "Performance / Memory" to see. If it hits the top and stays there without rendering, get more RAM or render in tiles/parts/regions then stitch together.

BTW
300 dpi for DIN A0 is an overkill. Have done quiet a number of architectural posters dim. DIN B1 @ 150 dpi without notice or any complaint (substance, surface and colors are far more important)... based on viewing distance here's a reference table:

source

2016-06-16, 23:24:06
Reply #4

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Try to disable the VFB.
Ok, you are not able to see the render, but you will save a lot of RAM!
« Last Edit: 2016-06-17, 15:44:21 by cecofuli »

2016-06-17, 07:54:35
Reply #5

babumbol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@burnin
Yes, in the task manager it hits the top and cpu performance is minimal for hours. In the end I was able to render the images (with more RAM + tiled camera). And I know it is an overkill. But some clients are very resistant to advice, even when confronted with hard facts.

@cecofuli
Good advice, too. Forgot about that one. Thanks.

So, as I see from your replies, this issue with hi-res renderings won't be treated in further versions and should be taken as a giving?

2017-03-29, 13:22:43
Reply #6

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
As I see it, the way Corona would treat high-res renderings would be the same way you tried manually: with render regions and then somehow merging them. This is pretty much a feature request.