Author Topic: Viewport Performance drop once something is rendered or Material-editor is used.  (Read 19571 times)

2016-06-06, 10:49:32

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
I recently discovered, that once i open a scene and started to render something or use the material-editor the viewport performance of max is getting bad. resulting in viewport-stuttering when rotating an object/scene or moving something around.

This behaviour only happend with corona 1.4. for now.

I'm using Max 2016 and corona 1.4 and got a Dell Firepro V7900 gpu with latest amd-driver...
currently i was not able to test this behaviour in other environments.

(Support ticket 3432)
« Last Edit: 2016-11-01, 13:58:39 by maru »

2016-06-06, 11:02:02
Reply #1

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
addition_

same behavior is seen on similiar machine with an Quadro 4000 and latest driver.

2016-06-06, 11:12:55
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hi,
I am not observing such behavior, can you record a video showing the problem so I am in picture?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-06-06, 11:55:11
Reply #3

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
Hello Ondra,

i've created a video ---- usually the viewport is quite smooth... when using the mouse. After i opened the material-editor or rendered an image - the navigations withing the viewports is horrible. You kinda get that impression at the end of the video, where i didnt released the mousebutton during moving or rotation. It seems stuttering and the object jumps to a certain position where the mouse is...

Working with the scene is quite impossible.

I've seen that in different scenes lately, but hadn't found the time to figure out the reason for that. I didn't had this behavior when using vray-as render engine or merging a affected scene into a new scene - so i'm not sure if there is that original scene corrupted or if that scene got degraded over time.

I couldnt see the effect in that merged scene.

2016-06-06, 15:22:47
Reply #4

Adam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RenderWorx
I was having the same issues a little while ago and read a thread about windows update.
Ran the updates ( I hadn't updated in months ) and everything seemed to work fine again.
Worth a try if you haven't done so already.

2016-06-06, 15:55:00
Reply #5

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
as far as i know windows are up to date. on both machines....

its windows 10 by the way...

2016-06-08, 16:03:47
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Are the textures stored in a network location (shared folder, etc)?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-07-05, 17:01:21
Reply #7

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
yes they are stored on unc network path - but usually this works with other render engines just fine. they only wait-time is, when starting rendering to collect all textures. It did not affect the performance of the UI. It was also not noticeable with corona 1.3

2016-07-05, 17:09:09
Reply #8

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de

2016-07-06, 08:57:55
Reply #9

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
well i tried the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable tip, but it didn't changed much in the performance drop. I'm quite clueless - maybe i'll test it on a more clean installation if i've some time.

2016-07-06, 12:40:54
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
well i tried the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable tip, but it didn't changed much in the performance drop. I'm quite clueless - maybe i'll test it on a more clean installation if i've some time.
Try disabling Windows Defender (completely). Or any other antivirus/firewall software you are using.
There was a very similar case where this was the solution.

2016-07-22, 16:38:42
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Thanks for the provided scene. I took a look and there is a LOT of textures on the network drives that are accessed periodically when 3dsmax decides whether or not to refresh the material editor. It would definitely explain the slowness. My 3dsmax is completely unusable when I have the material editor open in your scene. But I have the same issue when switching to other renderers, because it does not actually happen during rendering of the previews, but before. The key question is: was this happening also in Corona 1.3, or is it new to Corona 1.4?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-08-01, 11:15:20
Reply #12

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
as far as i know this behavior was not noticable in 1.3 ... it became noticable with 1.4 ...

I reinstalled version 1.3 and used one of the scenes where it became very noticible (nearly unusable) with 1.4. - in 1.3 the scene handling performance was not affected and behaved like it should be / zoom, pan, everything else.
so something introduced in 1.4. slowed down usablity after started a rendering or using the material editor.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-01, 11:47:56 by Jens_Gehrcken »

2016-08-03, 15:16:22
Reply #13

VASLAVO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
same happened here with daily build 07-29-16, also on heavy scenes some objects and proxys or even the entire scene disappear on wireframe viewports, if ou apply shademode you can see the objects, switch to wireframe or mixed wire with shade and they disappear, also when interactive is used the selection rectangle disappears from viewport, windows and max up to date.

2016-08-03, 15:24:20
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Can you describe it and send us a scene where this happens?
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new