Author Topic: Vray to corona convert  (Read 4922 times)

2016-02-10, 16:20:21

hadid90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I started using Corona only a month ago. Impressed by how fast and simple it is, also how stable and consistent.

I ve been using vray for quite some years though and i managed to create my own huge library of models and scenes.

A month ago i had a really complex scene, in which using both vray or vray-rt was really frustrating. Im not gonna tell the story of my life now but i really felt like vray sucked and started looking to other render engines and voila i met corona ...

As i started working with corona, i wanted to be able to use my vray  library fast and easy: i mean if i imported a vray model with vray materials, converted the scene to corona using the corona converter, i expected to get the exact same result when rendering as i used to have with vray. And for most cases it worked. Other cases it didnt. No problem, i am not that noob :P it s easy to go to the material editor and  fine tune a material or two and voila :)

So 2 days ago, i wanted to add a palm tree to a scene im working on for a client. Imported the tree, converted it to corona materials, clicked render .. Different results from vray. Okay i went to the material editor and sincerely couldnt know what was wrong with it. I thought it s maybe because vray materials has the option to use the same material on two sides, so i added a coronafrontbackmap and used the same diffuse map for both sides but it didnt workout.

I had to do that project using vray just for the sake of the tree :D anyways it wasnt a complex scene that needed me to use corona (because corona is faster i am mainly using it for interior night scenes :P ) I am an architect btw, so i m not neither a noob nor a professional CG guy.

Now i wanted to send u the pictures of both trees rendered with corona and vray, maybe someone could point out what are the solutions to this :( It would help me in my future projects .. thank you all and sorry i know my english is not perfect :P

2016-02-10, 16:28:36
Reply #1

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Looks like translucency strength is way to high and also monochromatic. Conversion of Vray2Sided mtls is really problematic and I haven't found a good solution yet. My implementation is trying to do a compromise but that means it's never really ideal...
If you want you can send me the original tree and I'll have a look what the converter does in this case and if I can improve it somehow.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-02-10, 17:01:45
Reply #2

hadid90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello captain,

Sorry but translucency is set to 0.0 :P and set to white .. i tried setting it to black = same rendering .. should i upload the model and the maps here ? also do u need both the vray and corona files ?