Author Topic: Render unresponsive after 10 hours with Corona and VFB+, any way to stop it?  (Read 4273 times)

2016-02-03, 12:14:28

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I just bumped into a new quirck/problem. I left my machines rendering overnight and this morning i tried to stop the render process. Just pressed Cancel and the buttons became grayed out, and now I can't seem to stop it.

I'd say it has happened before, but a few more clicks on the Stop button in Corona Frame Buffer or Render window Cancel, would finally stop it (I seem to recall...) Problem is I'm just trying VFB+ plugin (which is really cool) and I'm lacking the CFB Stop button. I spoke to Rotem (VFB+ developer) and he said VFB+ doesn't control the rendering process in any way....

The rendered image has been properly saved to EXR, so no big deal. But is there an alternative way to stop the render without killing Max cold? (some command line or something..?)

Wouldn't like this to happen on commercial work.. :(

BTW - I already checked the Helpdesk solution (having multipass turned ON in the camera). It's not my case.

Thanks for your help!

2016-02-03, 12:42:15
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, which version of Corona are you using? If it's 1.3 or newer, you should be getting some error messages/warnings from Corona if something is wrong.
Another idea is to create a minidump file during the freeze - here is how to do it:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006
( 2. Reporting errors or freezes if Autodesk Error Report window is not available
(creating minidump files manually) )
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-02-03, 13:09:46
Reply #2

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ooops, sorry forgot to mention which version... It's Corona 1.3 and Max 2014 and I'm using DR. No error messages on workstation nor nodes.

BTW, Max is almost completely operative.. It's just that the render doesn't finish up nor stop.

Is the minidump really necessary?

2016-02-03, 13:21:03
Reply #3

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Hi ikercito,

have you by chance started the render with a low number of threads configured in "Performance" -> "Performance Setting"?

I´m curious because I had this once in a while lately (v. 1.3/Max2014+16) and I have the feeling it´s somehow connected to lowering threads here. Usually I leave only 2 threads for the Master-Max while working on other stuff. The result was/is either as you described or it´s some kind of white window flashing / z-fighting / redraw orgy.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-02-03, 14:19:30
Reply #4

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not really... threads are at 0=unlimited

It is not a crash or permanent freeze... It's just like the engine HAS received the Stop signal (processor usage has gone down), but the frame buffer is still there, and the render count keeps going and won't shut down.

I've just quit Max and I'm comparing the results. I have the saved render from the time I clicked Stop, and the one I have saved a few hours later before quitting. They are exactly the same. So rendering had stopped and it was just an interface lockup (even though menus and windows were still operative)

I suppose it might be some miscommunication between Corona, Max and VFB+... No one has the blame, it's just the three of them alltogether.

Hope it doesn't happen again

2016-02-03, 14:53:31
Reply #5

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
They are exactly the same

At least...

Thanks for the details,

Good Luck!

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-02-03, 15:15:21
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think it would be best to do the minidump - we could then probably tell who is the culprit here. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-02-03, 15:34:29
Reply #7

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, i ended up shutting max, but i'll to replicate the error and submit he minidump.

Thx!

2016-02-04, 06:13:18
Reply #8

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Got the same problem again. I managed to create a mini dump and just submited it.

Hope it helps, thx