Author Topic: Tips to help reduce dancing highlights and bad AA in high contrast areas?  (Read 2286 times)

2016-01-27, 16:39:27

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been working on a short indoor flythrough test of an open plan living / kitchen area. Everything is looking good apart from metal highlights on the door handles are dancing away and flickering and also the AA around the skylight and window frames is quite bad against the bright sky. I have set the number of passes for each frame to be 200 which does leave a bit of grain but the render times are already 15mins per frame, SD res, on a 16 core 2.6 Xeon which is probably the maximum I can get away with doing it in house. I have the UHD Cache set to Animation with precision 1 and do previz checked. I've also upped the image filter to 1.8px to help soften it. Im also getting bad AA on highlights from one of the lights visible on the marble worktop.

So I was wondering if there was something I was overlooking or are these issues always going to occur unless I go super high on the pass count? The image in general looks good so its just annoying these things jump out at you. Many thanks for any help on this.

2016-01-27, 17:02:19
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, take a look here:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515615

Basically, setting internal resolution to 2 and increasing highlight compression should help.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-01-27, 17:21:15
Reply #2

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks I'll give it a go. Also trying to see if I can use alpha channels to help with the AA on the window frames as it doesn't happen if I hide the sky dome / hdri from camera.