Author Topic: A modern kitchen  (Read 10975 times)

2016-01-16, 13:45:06

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hello everyone,

I'd like to present a single shot I did for a personal project back when I  basically first started using Corona (and 3ds Max). I didn't have that much knowledge about it but I guess that is the biggest pro Corona has for a beginner. Switching from my regular tool set of C4D + V-Ray (with a little bit of Corona) was quite a job in itself...

Full Resolution

Personally I am unsure whether the more de-saturated theme works best for this render and I'd really like to hear some constructive criticism as to what you guys think could have been done better.

It is definitely worth noting that the concept for the interior layout is a work by Robert KrĨmar who is an interior designer :)
« Last Edit: 2016-01-16, 19:33:52 by nkilar »
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2016-01-16, 17:08:15
Reply #1

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Hi...Its perfect for me. saturation value look balanced. wooden flooring is awesome too.

2016-01-16, 18:05:09
Reply #2

mitviz

• Active Users
  • Architectural/Product Modeling and Rendering
    • View Profile
    • MITVIZ
very nice work, everything looks spot on
Mitviz
Professional Modeling and Rendering Solutions
Intel core i7-5960x cpu @3 GHz, GeForce GTX 970

2016-01-16, 19:53:16
Reply #3

klyde

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good lighting and materials, but you should work on frame composition. Start with straightening verticals.

2016-01-17, 17:48:10
Reply #4

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Super appreciative of the comments everyone :) Thanks!

@klyde, indeed, this was a bit experimental with regards to the verticals and I suppose it did and didn't work both at the same time. Thanks for pointing it out.

2016-01-17, 21:19:26
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The thing with verticals is, that in full-space, wide-angle view, it's never good idea to mess with them. Your brain would be correcting it, architectural photographers are correcting it for decades, it's the correct look we've associated with internally.

Experimental-wise, you can dislodge them about 5 +/- percent from complete straight, this way, even with digital image, your brain will try to correct it and it will end up looking sort of more natural if that's what you're after.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-01-17, 23:05:21
Reply #6

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really nice render there. I'm curious as to how you have found working with max coming from c4d and what made you switch? I often wonder how it compares when you get down and do a full project in it. For sure there are a tonne of arch viz centred plugins and models available which is tempting on its own. However the pricing structure is not!

2016-01-18, 01:15:43
Reply #7

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
The thing with verticals is, that in full-space, wide-angle view, it's never good idea to mess with them. Your brain would be correcting it, architectural photographers are correcting it for decades, it's the correct look we've associated with internally.

Experimental-wise, you can dislodge them about 5 +/- percent from complete straight, this way, even with digital image, your brain will try to correct it and it will end up looking sort of more natural if that's what you're after.

This is a pretty in depth response which I really appreciate Juraj. I tend to experiment with these values on more of a "it feels good" basis so I am thankful for the numbers you've given me.

Naturally the goal is always to push forward with ideas and compositions but still stay in the so called "normal" zone.

@Rhodesy
Well actually I started using C4D first and the way things work in there make my brain feel quite comfortable. Switching to 3ds Max (for a few projects) wasn't that big of a deal but I did have to put a lot of hours into getting up to spec on where all the buttons are and what is the best workflow for this and that. Digital Tutors really helped with that with their Introductory courses. It is good to remember that if you do "master" a certain part of the 3D workflow then switching won't be that big of a deal.

I switched (and then back) because I felt like I was missing out on rendering options in C4D. For example, the V-Ray we have is still the 2.5 version without the GGX BRDF. It was even harder a year ago when Corona was barely at V1 of its C4D implementation so of course I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. Also, I felt like I hit a bit of a ceiling in my technical knowledge and doing tutorials from scratch kind of makes you notice a few things you can improve in your workflow.

As to the comparison between working in 3ds Max and C4D as a C4D user, well... I can't say much else than that both programs have clear advantages and disadvantages. Just to name a few highlights, modeling in 3ds Max has way more options but its UI tends to freeze a lot and generally just feels clunky. C4D on the other hand doesn't have such robust tools for modeling, the rendering engine options leave a bit to be desired but doing workarounds and reinventing the wheel feels much much smoother in C4D due to its UI and parametric nature. Plugins, boy 3ds Max has a ton of those (and a loooot are fantastic) but then again I found myself installing plugins for things that were already implemented in C4D in an easy to use way.

I guess it just depends to what feels more comfortable in the end. Hope it helped :)
« Last Edit: 2016-01-18, 01:33:06 by nkilar »

2016-01-18, 04:21:42
Reply #8

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the detailed answer! Sounds like you have done it for similar reasons as what I would if it wasn't quite so expensive and notoriously buggy. If I was to start all over again I would go for max as it really is the global tool for arch viz. I currently model in sketchup and then use c4d for vray but more recently I've been switching new projects to corona which is a breath of fresh air! I do wish there was a fully featured universal material editor across all apps so we could exchange and learn materials with all users. Most of the max materials use the slate editor which we don't have in c4d (which is crazy in 2016) but on the other hand I like the c4d tick box activation for channels, proceedurals and layer shader etc. Seems cleaner in a way. And yes the c4d modelling set is pretty poor, hence sketchup but I wish I didn't need to export and import so much. Anyway thanks again.

2016-01-18, 09:53:36
Reply #9

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@Rhodesy
Well for me personally I can model just about anything in it (with time, I am a slow modeler) so it doesn't present a problem.

Also, honestly, if you get the idea of how slate works you can easily duplicate that in c4d which means learning from one set of materials translates to the other.

Bottom line, I'd say it really comes down to preference. Don't feel discouraged if you are working in C4D as the sky is certainly the limit there as well as I really feel like the two are equally useful. You know that saying "they say its the artist and not the tool"? I think that's true... :)

« Last Edit: 2016-01-18, 14:27:32 by nkilar »

2016-01-21, 03:45:35
Reply #10

dartofang

• Active Users
  • @archviztutorial
    • View Profile
materials looks great and the mood is just spot on. very  natural.

2016-01-24, 12:01:13
Reply #11

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
materials looks great and the mood is just spot on. very  natural.

Thank you, means a lot! :)

2016-03-03, 15:32:03
Reply #12

selant

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello great work! can you please give advice about the floor tiles ? Is it a multi-texture, what about the reflection and glossiness values (if possible? ) Thank you!

2016-03-03, 18:35:50
Reply #13

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@selant

Hello there! Thank you for the kind words ;)

The floor being used here is actually not a multi-texture but is instead just one texture applied to the single floor plane. I got lucky with this one as the bump map that I derived from the diffuse texture was exaggerated at the right places to create that believable gap look in between the planks.

As for the reflections ... Well... Again, I derived those from the main diffuse texture and what I did was I plugged it into a color correction node, set it to black and white (monochrome) and tuned that into the reflection glossiness slot.

I just rechecked and it appears I didn't plug anything into the reflection map slot but I would suggest you play with that as well as it might give you some really interesting looking effects. What I normally do nowadays is I try putting a slightly darker version of the glossiness map into the reflection map slot.

Of course that in itself is pretty basic. For some wooden floors you can try mixing and matching different dirt textures either in the reflection or the glossiness slots but in general I always use some form of the original diffuse texture in a black and white version in on of the slots for the reflection / glossiness - just to make the reflections "play nice" with the grain shapes. If there are specular textures already provided with the diffuse textures then I like to incorporate those in as well. Layer / Composite maps can really help here.

I hope it helps! :)
« Last Edit: 2016-03-03, 20:29:34 by nkilar »

2016-03-03, 19:13:22
Reply #14

filippo.previtali

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think it's a beautiful job! I love it. Everything's so well balanced.