Author Topic: Corona- Surface details and glosiness??  (Read 21020 times)

2014-10-09, 18:59:27
Reply #15

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
True. I was actually thinking maybe a shader with layer nodes like in Mudbox and ZBrush. With Diffuse, bump and Displacement slots. U could have Bump slot having layer nodes where u can layer one map on top of the other and control their strengths, likewise Displacement. For scratches and dirt areas that are not reflective u use very rough bump or normal maps.That way ur materials look exactly like the real world.
This will enable artists understand materials better and achieve realism the proper way.
I just read some stuff on the Disney PBR. It has up to 10 parameters.It does have specular and specular tint. I supposed the shader is centered more on cartoony graphics rather than photorealism?I do find it interesting that their roughness parameter controls diffuse and specular response. Thats awesome. I didn't really get the whole graph and numbers thingy though.
Btw, Juraj, how do u preview or test your materials when finetuning ur maps? Do u render the whole image or u pick a part of the image and render. I have heard some people use viewport shaders to get their materials right but I have always had problem using this technique.Viewport shaders hardly give u accurate results. I am curious how u go about doing this.

2014-10-09, 19:15:52
Reply #16

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I get the basics inside material editor, that's the great with Corona's rendere mat preview. It's not super accurate because it has weird large Area lights that make gauging proper glossiness very hard but, it does the job well.
But then I test the material in real-conditions, where I intend to use it in scene, or item I plan to use it on. Because you don't know if your material behaves like it should unless it's in proper, controlled environment.

For example, my most complicated material was Corten or rusty steel. I had like 10 photographies of how it was used in space I recreated and it always behaved differently, with sun, no sun, interior, exterior. So I always did a short series of test renders in every condition to see if the behaviour matched. Artificial material scene would not tell me that.

Regarding the Disney's parameter amount, I think they simply wanted faster control over layered speculars (tint, thin film, sheen,etc..) without the need to manually create this layers as Blend material. If you use them, you have them exposed, if you don't need them, don't touch it. But it's there, easy to use directly with 0-1 artistic control. Easy to understand, flexible to work with. No, it's not for Cartoons :- ) The stylization or style, doesn't matter.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-10-09, 19:55:59
Reply #17

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Noted.Thanks again,Juraj.
Would anyone know if Corona devs intend to introduce new alternative shaders soon?

2014-10-09, 20:19:34
Reply #18

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys... just to add that you can create any shape you want for the material editor using any ligth that suit your preview materials needs... really.
I came across that subject accidentaly once while ago and never tought i could use it for something...

I think that the sphere  of material editor was good for materials years ago... but now it needs that little "extra".

So here it is... this is what i'm talking about.

http://www.3dmax-tutorials.com/Creating_a_Custom_Sample_Object.html

I'm thinking in putting some GRant warwick shader in there just to see it works.
You can create a custom scene with camera and ligths and use it as preview inside material editor.

Pretty nifty.

What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2014-10-10, 00:11:43
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I know that since forever :- ) But I don't think you can swap the lighting at the moment if you want to keep the advanced rendered preview in Corona.

I btw optimalized Grant's Ball in Zbrush to about 10perc.. he uses CAD converted geometry so it's super heavy. You don't want 100MB geometry as preview piece.
I attach some stuff from my recent presentations.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-10-10, 00:16:36
Reply #20

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Noted.Thanks again,Juraj.
Would anyone know if Corona devs intend to introduce new alternative shaders soon?

I think they have enough crucial and more important stuff to do right now :- ) But, some day sooner than too much later would be great

2014-10-10, 02:57:12
Reply #21

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Damn!... always way ahead... but seems i'm in the rigth track. XD.

You win this time Mr Juraj... you win this time.
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2014-10-10, 17:04:33
Reply #22

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Juraj, could you share the modified file for the previews? I have Grant's file, but a smaller sized one would be better of course. If not no biggie.

2014-10-10, 18:15:14
Reply #23

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Juraj, could you share the modified file for the previews? I have Grant's file, but a smaller sized one would be better of course. If not no biggie.

Uf, since it's still mostly his file I don't want to share modifications outside, I apologize. But just open Zbrush and press decimate, or use native 3dsMax "ProOptimizer" modifier, it's not as good, but it works too.
I hope it's fine.

2014-10-10, 19:05:00
Reply #24

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page

Uf, since it's still mostly his file I don't want to share modifications outside, I apologize. But just open Zbrush and press decimate, or use native 3dsMax "ProOptimizer" modifier, it's not as good, but it works too.
I hope it's fine.

Not a problem. Thanks.

2014-10-11, 20:48:04
Reply #25

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo

I think they have enough crucial and more important stuff to do right now :- ) But, some day sooner than too much later would be great

Yeah.
Also Juraj, I went through ur rendered images on facebook and behance.They are breathtaking. I have also gone through a lot of other professional visualizers works. I have noticed there aren't night rendered stills in alot of them.Is this because a lot of clients prefer day renders or night renders are difficult to produce?
« Last Edit: 2014-10-11, 21:49:49 by melviso »

2014-12-16, 23:09:49
Reply #26

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I btw optimalized Grant's Ball in Zbrush to about 10perc.. he uses CAD converted geometry so it's super heavy. You don't want 100MB geometry as preview piece.

10 perc.?! I´ve been trying for hours (yes several haha) to optimize the shaderball to use it as a material preview but only get messed up geometry or holes in my model haha. Managed one time but the file ended up being 47mb and still problems with the geometry!
You managed to optimize it very well since your model seems to look like the original.
Would there be any possibility for you to share some hint/detail on how optimized so well? :)

2014-12-16, 23:21:07
Reply #27

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

10 perc.?! I´ve been trying for hours (yes several haha) to optimize the shaderball to use it as a material preview but only get messed up geometry or holes in my model haha. Managed one time but the file ended up being 47mb and still problems with the geometry!
You managed to optimize it very well since your model seems to look like the original.
Would there be any possibility for you to share some hint/detail on how optimized so well? :)

Several hours ? I think it took me something around 20 minutes, but I did have to do some manual cleaning of holes. This is because his model is CAD generated so it's not even continuous. So yes...dirty process :- ).
But I really can't tell you if I did something special because I honestly don't remember what happened yesterday and I did this half a year ago. Btw, I checked and it's 20MB. Still not super lightweight. If someone would rebuilt it in true poly way,
that would be great.

2014-12-16, 23:31:28
Reply #28

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info Juraj! Isn´t 20mb quite slow to load when you need to refresh materials? :)
I will look into rebuilding it, I have some free time! :)

2014-12-16, 23:59:29
Reply #29

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thanks for the info Juraj! Isn´t 20mb quite slow to load when you need to refresh materials? :)
I will look into rebuilding it, I have some free time! :)

I don't think it's subsequently loading after first time. It's not like I use it all the time either, Ball can be pretty good enough :- ).