Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 519760 times)

2018-09-10, 18:54:59
Reply #60

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
but now I’ve ended up with an rgb motherboard it seems a shame not to see it 😏

Heresy :-)
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-09-10, 19:01:32
Reply #61

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Lol, same here. It`s going to be "rainbow is magic" build , Aorus + G.Skill RGB RAM + glass side panel. 
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2018-09-11, 11:07:04
Reply #62

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Originally I had bunch of orders at 480 +/- euro from german e-shops, but it all proved to be bust. Local big shop got a copy for 580 so I grabbed that one. I believe this will be the "new" price from now on mostly.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/leo-waldock/msi-meg-x399-creation-the-best-motherboard-ever/

The best motherboard ever would be Aorus layout (4 dual-slot GPUs) + Aorus features (10gbe) + MSI hardware (19 phases), but right now knowing I will never put more than two GPUs inside, it's MSI.
But from the chart you can see if your intended overclock is 3.6 + 3.8 +/- , Aorus should be enough but I would still treasure the stability the additional phases bring to table (35 Degree C difference on VRM)

Lol at Zenith, 120 degree C at 3.8Ghz. Better install that tiny 4cm fan "kit". "Overclocker's dream board".

Who knows what X499 will bring.

I totally agree with you on this one. Would always go for the board with more phases but for me its still not available right now so I will probably wait until it gets out in the local shops or something even better shows up. I have my hopes in As Rock for this segment. Although I am not a big fan of them they always excelled at making boards capable for high overcloking.

2018-09-11, 11:38:56
Reply #63

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am surprised how disappointing the late Asus boards are. They used to have top-grade models but now it looks like it's all fancy heatsinks and branding. It's ok to have that but at least coupled with performance, but for them it's lately just the visage.

The gaming oriented branding has been nothing but poor choice for prosumer market. But I guess the marketing departments have done their research and figured out it's actually lot more gamers and enthousiasts buying this stuff regardless of how useless it is for them.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-09-11, 12:38:00
Reply #64

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeap, that top space is my main reason for wanting an Evolv to shove as big a rad in there as possible. Sept 24th seems to be the realise date. Agree with you that a XL3 would be great, I use a XL2 which I love, but now I’ve ended up with an rgb motherboard it seems a shame not to see it 😏

Don't worry, phanteks cases are best in class ! I prefer my enthoo pro over my XL2, good cable management, removable drive cage, better cooling, proper SSI EEB mounting etc etc... Just a bit noisier. That's not a problem as my prosafe xs708e cover them all 10 times :)

2018-09-12, 10:35:48
Reply #65

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, I've had a look round for other cases, and keep coming back to the Evolv X - I'll just have to wait until later this month to get my hands on one. Do Phantexs not realise that my other workstations are struggling and that I need to get building?!

Has anyone got any good suggestions for power supplies? I think I need to get around 1200w, and will probably get something from EVGA as I've used them before and had no problems, but if anyone knows a better option I'm all ears....

2018-09-12, 10:54:21
Reply #66

Radim Razzak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, I've had a look round for other cases, and keep coming back to the Evolv X - I'll just have to wait until later this month to get my hands on one. Do Phantexs not realise that my other workstations are struggling and that I need to get building?!

Has anyone got any good suggestions for power supplies? I think I need to get around 1200w, and will probably get something from EVGA as I've used them before and had no problems, but if anyone knows a better option I'm all ears....

I don't know about other brands, but I quite like Corsair PSUs with i-link, which allows you to monitor different values of motherboard, CPUs, RAMs, VGA and PSU itself. I've had many Corsair PSUs and never had a single problem. I still use a 10 years old Corsair HX520 in one of my machine and no problem at all...

2018-09-12, 13:31:06
Reply #67

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
My personal opinion is that there is no need to go for anything different than Seasonic unless you're budget shopping or have peculiar need for warranty ( like US region where warranty is otherwise limited).

Corsair, BeQuite, EVGA and other reputable brands source their PSU from various OEMs like Seasonic, Super Flower, Channel Well,etc.
So particular Corsair AX can be made by Seasonic, but AXi by Flextronics & Chicony.

And seriously, do you want Seasonic or Chicony to manufacture your high-end 200+ Euro PSU ? Just get Seasonic.

There is hardly anything better than Seasonic Prime models (G/P/T) on the market right now, it's the latest&greatest. Unparalleled build quality, look at any review.

The only tiny critique I have ever seen on Prime could be sometimes more aggressive fan curve, but this isn't going to be an issue if you go over 1k watt (and you should do that for 2990WX + 1 or 2 GPUs) and I personally find it still super silent.
I have used Prime Titanium for file server and Prime Gold for past two workstations I've build. Will also use Prime Gold 1200W this time.

2018-09-12, 15:30:47
Reply #68

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
I use multiple corsairs 1000W and 1200W in my builds and they all worked fine in past 5 years. For this new 2990wx + 3GPU build i picked their best model AX1600i

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12645/the-corsair-ax1600i-psu-review-unparalleled-performance/6
« Last Edit: 2018-09-12, 16:23:48 by psanitra »

2018-09-12, 16:59:33
Reply #69

Gewiz90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why is the Enermax Liqtech II better than any other AIO Cooler? is it worth the wait or do I get an Evga clc280?

2018-09-12, 17:07:25
Reply #70

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Why is the Enermax Liqtech II better than any other AIO Cooler? is it worth the wait or do I get an Evga clc280?

Because it's the only one available with full heatspreader coverage for TR4 (We're only talking in context of this platform, not generally for AIOs), which has been proved to be necessary for Threadripper both for <=16 cores if you want overclocking, or >16 cores to even run properly without throttling as you need to dissipate 250 Watts (without overclocking, with overclocking 500W+).
Any air cooler with full heatspreader coverage (like Noctua NH-U14 TR4 or Silver Arrow ) will be much better choice than AIO with smaller CPU block (retained by adapter basically).

I know a lot of people with 280/360mm AIOs like Kraken NZXT on their 1950X where it sorta ok job for base clocks, or slight overclock + noisy. But absolutely no-go for 2990WX.

For this new 2990wx + 3GPU build i picked their best model AX1600i

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12645/the-corsair-ax1600i-psu-review-unparalleled-performance/6

You did tell your girlfriend/wife how much you're spending right :- ) ?

2018-09-12, 18:22:55
Reply #71

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net

She approved after i told her that PSU it`s powerful enough to run all kitchen appliances too :D

2018-09-13, 16:40:53
Reply #72

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My personal opinion is that there is no need to go for anything different than Seasonic unless you're budget shopping or have peculiar need for warranty ( like US region where warranty is otherwise limited).

Corsair, BeQuite, EVGA and other reputable brands source their PSU from various OEMs like Seasonic, Super Flower, Channel Well,etc.
So particular Corsair AX can be made by Seasonic, but AXi by Flextronics & Chicony.

And seriously, do you want Seasonic or Chicony to manufacture your high-end 200+ Euro PSU ? Just get Seasonic.

There is hardly anything better than Seasonic Prime models (G/P/T) on the market right now, it's the latest&greatest. Unparalleled build quality, look at any review.

The only tiny critique I have ever seen on Prime could be sometimes more aggressive fan curve, but this isn't going to be an issue if you go over 1k watt (and you should do that for 2990WX + 1 or 2 GPUs) and I personally find it still super silent.
I have used Prime Titanium for file server and Prime Gold for past two workstations I've build. Will also use Prime Gold 1200W this time.

Thanks for that - I think I probably end up going Seasonic too (although I did consider Corsair's HXi range too). I reckon either of those, or even an EVGA or Super Flower would be good, but I need to make sure I buy from someone with good customer service in case of  failure (reading to many customer reviews on the net has probably made me overly cautious).

The cooling options are still limited - Enermax aren't saying when Liqtech II is out, and it might be as unreliable as the first version. Cooler Master have a TR4 AIO due but they don't know seem to when its out either. Right now I'm starting to think going custom with EK might be my best option, and it might be fun?!?

I'm going to wait until I can show her the Corona Benchmark results - I'm sure she'll be impressed enough to not worry about the cost........

2018-09-13, 17:27:03
Reply #73

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
One friend told me yesterday, while he was building his 2990WX, his shop told him two weeks to get LiqTech II. Swiss shop, so I guess it's around. (I mean it is on market already, but all within prebuild systems).

2018-09-13, 21:47:46
Reply #74

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well I'm going to be waiting a few more weeks probably for the case, so maybe by then it will be available. If not, I'll go custom (I've already specced out a loop on the EKWB website).
The irony is I'm sitting here watching my current system really struggle with the work I'm throwing at it while the solution sits idle on my desk in a box :(