General Category > General CG Discussion

Why do my renders suck so much when viewed on my phone?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Juraj:
Damn, Maybejensen wrote the same in 3 sentences..

Juraj:
Here is how much the low-contrast of desktop monitors (applies to all desktop monitors that are not OLED, so all of them. Low-end are worse by a lot... but the effect is the same on ultra high-end as well. TN, VA, IPS, all technologies have them, but IPS has it most pronounced despite being the highest-quality type of non-oled panel used for monitors.

This is how your monitor look at dark setup, you might not perceive it as much until you photograph it. That's not white color... that's completely black display, 0/0/0 RGB. The darker the room, and the brighter is your display set, the worse this becomes. This is why you're seeing completely incorrect brightness and contrast, even though in the moment your brain is telling you different. This monitor has contrast of 1:1000, it's Dell Monitor with LG IPS panel.

And here is my setup in afternoon, I believe I had ceiling lights turned off to highlight the effect of bias lighting (Philips HUE). Of course dramatic tonemapping from cell-phone camera makes it look lot more drastic than reality :- ). But the important factor is... look how black is the black on my monitor. And that's also your standard 1:1000 IPS panel (IPS panel from AU-Optronics? It's BenQ Monitor) ! There also frontal bias lights (reading lamps, you can mount them on monitor, BenQ makes it but I was unable to buy it yet) that are excellent for working at night.

Maybejensen:

--- Quote from: Juraj on 2021-01-19, 15:42:15 ---Damn, Maybejensen wrote the same in 3 sentences..

--- End quote ---
haha "Why write many word when few word do trick"
I enjoy your extensive and in depth write up's Juraj, keep em coming!

agentdark45:
Chipping in with my 2 cents: I've recently changed over my main monitor to an LG CX OLED. Such an amazing upgrade over my previous IPS monitor (I'm never going back to IPS). I use DisplayCal with a Spyder 5 for system wide calibration, and am around 1 Delta E.

The difference really is night and day, something was always "off" with the many IPS panels I've used before - constantly second guessing whether what you are seeing is correct/too contrasty/too saturated (even with calibration).

I believe LG are set to release a new G1 OLED this year which supposedly is meant to get brighter than the current CX, but it will cost a fair bit more.

Juraj:
As fantastic as CX-range from LG is, there are some specifics to its PC-use that pertains to accuracy, mainly the sustained 100perc. white brightness where the TV dims considerably. It's best to treat this like monitor, run it in SDR mode at 120 to 150 NITs when not used for gaming & cinema.

It also doesn't feature good factory calibration for PC-mode and doesn't have true hardware calibration (through 3D 14bit LUT).
So to have true system wide calibration, it has to be calibrated through manual settings in DarkMode preset.

(Usage of ICC profile in Windows is not considered 'system wide' because it's ignored by non-managed application, which is almost everything except for Photoshop, Raw Converterts, etc. 3dsMax and Corona are not color-managed, so they ignore ICC profile calibration and show stretched colors mapping to gamut the TV currently has selected).

I would personally not buy CX for color-critical work as main display even as beautiful as it is (And it is stunningly beautiful I would definitely buy one for my living room if I didn't consider it waste of money).

Now, the LG OLED 32" Ultrafine... that will be something else. It sadly features OLED from JOLED, not LG so it will be probably very expensive... (4-6k Euro).

Last, IPS panels with hardware calibration have no saturation issues that would be inherent to the technology. Any mid to high-end IPS monitor with hardware calibration option have (or good Factory sRGB preset) show saturation without any issue.

Still.. long live OLED. Hopefully we get as many options as possible to buy! There is nothing quite like it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version