Author Topic: Converting from physical material TO corona material?  (Read 19837 times)

2020-10-14, 13:51:13

ProxyFuel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you have a scene that has been converted to physical materials can they be converted back to corona? I know corona can render physical but was hoping not to need to work with multiple material types.

2020-10-14, 17:30:15
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just pasting from the support ticket so that other users are aware too:

Unfortunately, it is not possible to convert the Autodesk Physical materials. We are aware of this limitation and have it logged in our internal task tracker. We can expect an improvement here in the upcoming versions of Corona.
​As a workaround, I can recommend using the "convert by class" option in the Corona Converter script, which will convert all Autodesk Physical materials to default gray Corona materials (see the attached screenshot).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-12-15, 21:19:02
Reply #2

ferrarod

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is a giant limitation for those who work with Sketchup. I don't understand what's changed behind the scenes, but previous converters in previous Max releases have worked fine.

Since updating to Corona 6 hotfix 1 and Max 2021, no imported sketchup models have been able to convert physical to corona mtl. The workaround mentioned is as good as applying a blank material to your entire model, which obviously ruins the possible hundreds of materials and maps previously set up in Sketchup.

My "workaround" to this huge problem now is to use Max2021 scene converter and set the rule to convert Physical mats to Vray MTL, then run the Corona Converter to convert to corona mtl.

Hope this gets fixed ASAP.

2021-02-18, 12:51:22
Reply #3

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
+1

Ferrarod, how r u converting from physical to Vray?

*Edit: nvm found it, manualy make the rules as such... thanks for the tip, have the same issue with 100+ materials in sketchup import :-))

Welcome to 2021!?

2021-02-18, 13:37:53
Reply #4

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It should be easier with the new PBR material in v7 once it's released. But in general, anyone can set up rules for conversion with the new built-in converter in max, it's just a matter of sitting down and setting it up. If your work depends on it, it's probably better to invest a few hours and have them available for future projects.

2021-04-13, 05:35:02
Reply #5

kareem_bade3

• Users
    • View Profile

2021-04-13, 05:35:39
Reply #6

kareem_bade3

• Users
    • View Profile
You Can easily convert Physical material to Vray material by Vray material converter then you can convert from Vray material to corona material from Corona converter .

2021-12-03, 11:32:25
Reply #7

helionic

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Unfortunately, the built-in max conversion from Physical to Vray and then to Corona gives bad results (attached).

Any plans to fix this issue in Corona Converter?

2022-02-01, 11:24:34
Reply #8

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
So, this was logged in 2020 and I couldn't see any updates on the issue in the daily builds of version 8?

It's a huge hassel for us when we get sketchup models imported to max and we can't just convert it all from physical to corona materials.
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2022-05-20, 14:54:35
Reply #9

OJ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,

I wrote a script because we also had some issues with models from Archicad and Sketchup. Newer Max versions import those models with Physical materials.
The script itself is quite simple and converts materials of selected objects from Physical material to Corona Legacy Material.
This script may help you as well and is free for download on gumroad.

At the moment script supports:
Base color
Diffuse map
Multisub material

Link for download: https://3dtaito.gumroad.com/l/PhysicalToCoronaLegacy

2022-05-31, 15:41:38
Reply #10

Burnham

• Users
    • View Profile
You Can easily convert Physical material to Vray material by Vray material converter then you can convert from Vray material to corona material from Corona converter .

Thank you very much, I just did it, but were very useful do do it in one step with CORONA.

2022-07-04, 14:25:42
Reply #11

MartoStyle

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,

I wrote a script because we also had some issues with models from Archicad and Sketchup. Newer Max versions import those models with Physical materials.
The script itself is quite simple and converts materials of selected objects from Physical material to Corona Legacy Material.
This script may help you as well and is free for download on gumroad.

At the moment script supports:
Base color
Diffuse map
Multisub material

Link for download: https://3dtaito.gumroad.com/l/PhysicalToCoronaLegacy

It dosent work for me. I am with corona 7 and when convert with your script it says 0 materials was converted why is that?

2022-11-28, 18:43:04
Reply #12

ferrarod

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all-

Extremely long time user of Corona, now an extremely disappointed one. It's been two and a half years of updates and we've still not heard a word on this development? On top of that, a HEFTY monthly price increase with no solution? This isn't a minor inconvenience, it's at the core of what I would imaging hundreds if not thousands of viz artists use as a workflow, including my own.

Long time devoted users deserve an answer and even more importantly, a true update to fix this permanently.

2022-11-28, 19:25:56
Reply #13

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have to convert tons of physical materials to Corona on a DAILY basis! Please guys, is this so difficult to implement?

2022-12-08, 10:33:54
Reply #14

eostash

• Users
    • View Profile
The most used render engine for archviz don`t have solution to convert from standart 3dsmax Physical material imported from most popular CAD/BIM software ????? ARE YOU KIDDING ????