Author Topic: Viewport preview for materials with black diffuse  (Read 7228 times)

2017-04-22, 03:11:48

Studio Heisenberg

• Active Users
  • Let's cook
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have searched trough the forum but couldn't find any discussion about this. Amongst many advantages of Cinema 4D over 3ds Max I find this one that is implemented in r18 really awsome, and that is reflections preview and displacement (tessalation) preview. Those would be huge help. Another one that would be great is the possibility to somehow import substances directly to corona or convert cinema 4D substance material to Corona without need of manualy import and change substance shader. Cheers

2017-04-22, 05:33:07
Reply #1

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I second these suggestions. IPR will be a great help here later, but the viewport looks a bit ... basic when it comes to reflections or transparency, especially for materials without an active diffuse channel.

2017-04-22, 11:51:16
Reply #2

Studio Heisenberg

• Active Users
  • Let's cook
    • View Profile
Yep, exactly, and specially when there is already built nice viewport privew for native Cinema 4D materials. Not sure how easy it will be for developers to incorporate those in Corona.

2017-06-22, 11:11:55
Reply #3

illbru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh thank god i found someone with this request!
I tried to ask couple of times in the forum but didn't get much attention.
It is a feature also maxwell has: you can decide whiche bitmap to display on vieport (bump, refl, diff..) it is great.

2017-06-22, 11:39:05
Reply #4

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
It is a feature also maxwell has: you can decide whiche bitmap to display on vieport (bump, refl, diff..) it is great.

As someone who has worked with 3ds max too I can say that and the IPR are the two things that I consider the most imporant "features". That said with it comes the need for a node based material editor and of course the option to tile bitmaps individually.

+100 :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-06-22, 17:23:33
Reply #5

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1000 For all these points. Transparency would be really nice - vray finally managed to figure it out with its 3.4 so it must be possible for third parties to do. And yes if we could pick the glossy channel for metals that would be cool too.

2017-07-17, 20:34:43
Reply #6

Binke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yeees please..at the moment working with interiors that has a lot of metals with no diffuse channel makes it very hard to navigate in the viewport, as its all black..

2017-07-18, 09:51:05
Reply #7

4b4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
one thing you can usually use as a workaround in the meantime is to make sure lights have the visible in editor box unchecked and then uncheck textures shown in viewport, shortcut is N~Q

2017-07-20, 13:29:06
Reply #8

Binke

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-05-04, 11:46:58
Reply #9

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any update on if improving the viewport represention is possible? Right now we still have 100% black for any material without a diffuse texture. So if you are doing a metal clad building with glazing and possibly a water feature, you get a black model! Even if it was a grey you could at least see the poly outlines but with black its just a big shape. Can the viewport tex be taken from either the ref tex or glossiness tex? Vray is able to show transparency in the viewport so hopefully that should be possible at least?