Author Topic: TPhotometric lights Slow HD Cache etc  (Read 3020 times)

2014-07-10, 09:23:16

higgledyhiggles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
not sure if it`s a bug or more likely a result of hacking a previous scene. HD Cache takes forever to compute with max standard photometric lights and ies web plus a few omni`s and spots (all turned to Corona shadows). Replacing with Corona lights and  using IES and it becomes nice and fast again. Obviously it`s designed to work better with native lights but maybe defeats the point of making max lights compatible if they slow it all to a crawl ?
checking again seems to be just max photometric lights.

Just an observation, not a complaint or anything.. I expect you know this already..

2014-07-10, 10:08:10
Reply #1

higgledyhiggles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Additional.. again probably a `quirk` or part of the corona light script converter..
I remade the TPhotomentrics as CoronaLights and added an IES.
I then merged some old vray plane lights and ran the corona light converter script, it made them all IES lights when they should be just plane lights. Could be Corona remembers me adding the IES file from before when and adds it subsequently to other new lights or just the converter script messing up.
Mentioned just in case..

Just created a new Corona Light in a different scene and it added the same IES file from before. Good/Bad ? Not sure, could save time for some scenes or be a pain if creating a bunch of different lights.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-10, 10:54:09 by higgledyhiggles »

2014-07-10, 13:06:25
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
How many of the lights do you have in the scene? And how are their area light shadows set up
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-07-11, 12:28:35
Reply #3

higgledyhiggles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
91 lights, point shape area..
yup that`s definitely it. Point Shape causes the slow down. Switch to Sphere and all is well.

2014-07-11, 13:36:27
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
ok, problem is that currently the 3dsmax lights behave in corona like in mental ray/vray (more lights = slower rendering). I will probably switch them to corona-style (more lights = same time, maybe little bit more noise) in the future.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-09-16, 22:35:47
Reply #5

NicoB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have some kind of the same problem.
Can you tell, what you have done to get
the render speed back when using
max photometric lights?

Turning light shape to sphere causes the light
to get Off in my scene..(?)