Author Topic: CoronaColor Map - no checkbox for linear?  (Read 518 times)

2024-02-13, 03:00:20

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
Hi all,

Just wondering what happened to the checkbox for "Input values are in linear colour space" in the CoronaColor map..?

As now when I input a solid color 0-255 RGB value I don't get the colour I need?

Any idea's as to how I can input a rgb value and have it be the colour I'm wanting?

Thanks.

2024-02-13, 08:41:01
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

You can pick Solid HDR color, and then specify the RGB primaries of the color, which can be Linear.
Please see attached screenshot.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2024-02-13, 08:50:30
Reply #2

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
thanks mate, but what if i dont have the HDR values?

I just want to enter a basic 255, 255, 255 rgb value (eg colorbond/dulux etc etc) and have it come
out the right colour...? 

It worked fine before the change...

2024-02-13, 12:04:35
Reply #3

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It is still there, Solid HDR just lets you have above 1.0 (0-255) values as well.
RGB 255, 255, 255 would be 1.0 1.0 1.0 in HDR. Give it a try and see if it comes out correct for you.

2024-02-14, 04:04:13
Reply #4

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
It is still there, Solid HDR just lets you have above 1.0 (0-255) values as well.
RGB 255, 255, 255 would be 1.0 1.0 1.0 in HDR. Give it a try and see if it comes out correct for you.

Hey mate,

Thanks for getting back to me, and I get that, but then I have to go and figure out what each value is, just another annoying step in the process when all i had to do previously is check a box...
Most paint and other building related colour companies provide the standard 255,255,255 rgb values for their colours not HDR 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 values... so it's frustrating, especially when colour selection is a massive component of what we do.

2024-02-14, 09:30:22
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Unless i misunderstood the original issue, but you can chose which colour space you want to input the colour values in Corona colour picker itself.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-02-14, 09:48:21
Reply #6

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Hey mate,

Thanks for getting back to me, and I get that, but then I have to go and figure out what each value is, just another annoying step in the process when all i had to do previously is check a box...
Most paint and other building related color companies provide the standard 255,255,255 rgb values for their colours not HDR 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 values... so it's frustrating, especially when colour selection is a massive component of what we do.

This adds the needed nuance, your case is more clear now.

Yes, as Romullus mentioned, when selecting a color with CoronaColor picker, you can specify if it is in sRGB or Linear. The values for selected color convert automatically.
This is also possible (as I tried and understood to some degree) with default color picker, with Scene or Display reference and conversion.

2024-02-14, 10:55:40
Reply #7

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wonder if offering numeric inputs wouldn't be good, along with a color swatch so you can either enter RGB values in 0-255 OR click the swatch to open the color picker and input there as you would now, whatever is more convenient to the user. So basically offer the same input for LDR values as you do for HDR linear.

Opening the picker, assigning the correct color space, choosing the color, pressing OK and still having to use the dropdown is quite a lot of mouse clicks for a single color assignment. I totally get why OP feels this is a bit too much for such a simple thing.

2024-02-15, 04:17:44
Reply #8

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D

Hey mate,

Most paint and other building related color companies provide the standard 255,255,255 rgb values for their colours not HDR 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 values... so it's frustrating, especially when colour selection is a massive component of what we do.

This adds the needed nuance, your case is more clear now.

Yes, as Romullus mentioned, when selecting a color with CoronaColor picker, you can specify if it is in sRGB or Linear. The values for selected color convert automatically.
This is also possible (as I tried and understood to some degree) with default color picker, with Scene or Display reference and conversion.

I didn't know about the corona colour picker, thats definitely an improvement on the standard one and I can get the result i want.

Thanks for your help!