Author Topic: Ford Bronco - feedback requested  (Read 2488 times)

2021-10-19, 23:12:55

thr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

here's a recent render of mine, while I'm not sure if it's my best work I think it's a good indicator of where my skills are. I know (from looking through the forum gallery) there's much room left to improve technically and creatively but my ability to self critique is only so good right now. Any tips and advice are appreciated, thanks

Edit:
I think this belongs in the learner's corner so if it can be moved that would be great
« Last Edit: 2021-10-20, 21:28:42 by thr »

2021-10-21, 10:51:27
Reply #1

Lucas3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Visual Workshop3D
Beautiful work!
VW3d.pl

2021-10-21, 10:59:29
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Model looks good, but materials are too pristine. Some texturing on gloss channel plus CoronaAO, could make big difference to the image. Also i think that lighting is pretty unfortunate - back of the car looks like it's hanging in the air.

Moving topic to the learner's corner, as per author's request.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-10-21, 15:47:47
Reply #3

thr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
solid feedback, thank you - I will give it another go keeping this in mind. In regards to the lighting, is it the lack of light on the ground by the rear that's the culprit, or rather lack of overall light contrast back there?

2021-10-24, 17:11:12
Reply #4

thr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Update - changed the lighting and focal length, still making updates to the materials. I think this is an improvement over the first image but still have a ways to go, looking for further feedback... thank you!
« Last Edit: 2021-10-24, 17:20:10 by thr »

2021-10-28, 17:44:13
Reply #5

thr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok one more go at this - after playing around a bunch I'm mostly happy with this. Tire material still needs work, but lighting is better I think.
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28, 17:52:12 by thr »

2021-10-28, 19:50:00
Reply #6

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Love the lighting! just regular rectangular light or custom hdri?

2021-10-29, 06:18:36
Reply #7

thr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank you! I used a gradient ramp in a corona light material on a plane, and then just corona disc lights

2021-11-12, 08:16:38
Reply #8

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Radial gradient? I think there was a post about this long ago showing that, technically, you don't need to map a gradient to Corona Lights because they simulate a softbox already. I used to do this technique in Maya - mapping an alpha ramp to a disk light - but in Corona Renderer, it might be unnecesary.

2021-11-12, 11:04:10
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think so, if left unmapped, Corona light will emit uniform light intensity throughout its area. Might be interesting to see the discussion that you are referring, though.

Regarding Bronco's feedback, i prefer the background of the second attempt, it looks much more interesting than pure black nothingness.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-11-15, 19:55:05
Reply #10

thr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yea, I'm looking at the two and I agree that the illuminated background is better. I like it so far, but still not there - it's like 90% of what I'd hope it can be. Also, corona lights are definitely very uniform in reflections unless the directionality is turned up high, which would not be good for the softbox plane in this case.