Author Topic: PC cases talk  (Read 15405 times)

2020-03-19, 18:45:51
Reply #30

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What do you think about vertical GPU installation? Any other reason than aesthetics to use this riser with meshify s2 + non blower GPU?

2020-03-20, 09:49:41
Reply #31

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Worse in every way, mainly temperatures (easily 10+ C) but also prevents flexible access to behind pci slots.

I'd like to order extra fans for meshify s2,   
3x top, 2x bottom, 1x front

which one would be the best choice?

NF-A15 PWM
NF-A14 PWM
NF-A14 ULN

S2 comes with Dynamic X2 GP-14's, is there any reason to change them at the beginning?

Thanks
TH

X2 are decent fans, if the noise and sound profile sounds good to you, you can keep them.

A15 is A14 version with 120mm mounting, it was made for heatsinks.

PWM is 1500 rpm fan with 4-pin connection (4th pin for PWM modulation). Comes with ULN connector that caps the speed at 1200.
ULN is 1000 RPM fan with 3-pin connection. (Motherboard modulates the speed with voltage). Comes with ULN connecter that caps the speed at 800rpm.

It's not 140mm fan, but NF-A12x25 120mm is the best fan in the world right now. Incredible sound profile (very pleasant compared to A14 series), and for some loudness, it has same performance as 140mm fan (noise-normalized test).

I don't know how to in fact move posts, so I deleted yours in TR thread to keep the topics separate.

I would google a little bit about air-flow. Populating the top 3 ports in fact worsens the CPU cooling (because the front intake will go out before it even reaches the CPU). So it's best to only populate the other two, or just the last one, and close the other two slots with something). Or you can just run massive positive pressure with lot of intake fans only. No problem with any setup.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-20, 20:45:26 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-02-15, 22:11:04
Reply #32

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Is it normal for plastic PC case to give loud cracking sounds when it's expanding and contracting? My apartment has quite cool ambient temperature and its not very consistent, since heating is from AC. On top of that i'm turning off PC for the night, so it's also has it's own thermal cycle. That constant temperature fluctuation makes my case to produce frequent and often loud cracking sounds. It's slowly growing on my nerves. Before that i had all metal case, which wasn't great in any sense, but at least it didn't give much sounds, except for occasional rattle from spinning HDDs. The case in question is Fractal Design Torrent compact, i expected pretty good quality from it. Or maybe quality is too good in a sense that parts are so tight that they can't travel freely on thermal expansion? Maybe i should lubricate it? :D
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-02-15, 22:57:51
Reply #33

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My two cents: I have a Fractal Torrent (not compact) and do not hear any sounds like that.
The temp here in my office also varies; from about 60F to about 72F.

I remember hearing sounds like that with a different case, and always thought it could be the MB contracting and expanding.

2023-02-16, 10:57:54
Reply #34

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I have metal/glass window case, extremely rigid, but when I open window and -5C air comes into my 23C ambient room, I hear all sounds of loud cracking for like 2-3 minutes :- ).
I think it's rather the hardware than the "case" in my case.

I can see lot of Fractal Cases cracking though, they are mostly tool-less these days so there is plenty of space to expand.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!