Author Topic: Maxscript control on VFB Post process config?  (Read 5520 times)

2019-05-14, 10:49:14

Attila Cselovszki

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

We would like to create a before render script that loads in the chosen predefined setup to the post process config of VFB. In this way we would be able to apply LUT, Tone mapping, bloom etc in one round per camera in batch render. Is there any way to access post process config via Maxscript?

Thank you very much for your help in advance,

Attila

2019-05-14, 11:17:37
Reply #1

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Why not just access the Maxscript values through the render settings, much simpler.

2019-05-15, 09:00:55
Reply #2

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Hi,

We would like to create a before render script that loads in the chosen predefined setup to the post process config of VFB. In this way we would be able to apply LUT, Tone mapping, bloom etc in one round per camera in batch render. Is there any way to access post process config via Maxscript?

Thank you very much for your help in advance,

Attila
once i needed this because there are many .conf file to load in a camera view but found no direct way. anyway, you can read/write the .conf file using stringstream.
or, maybe you can create feature request about this.

2019-05-15, 11:48:48
Reply #3

Attila Cselovszki

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you!
@Njen: Yes, you are right it is simpler from scratch but we would like to use the existing post process setups within one click. :)
@Christa Noel: Thanks you for your advise! Yes, we can read out the conf file and feed back the info into the render setting for sure. I just hoped that there is a direct way. Feature request than... 

2020-07-23, 23:59:23
Reply #4

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm also interested in being able to add functionality to the Corona VFB.
Specifically this: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=25242.msg151575#msg151575

Is it possible to add buttons for example?
Or change settings in the Tone mapping area via maxscript?

2020-07-24, 15:47:05
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Currently the only available workaround is using the Render Setup > Camera settings, which are accessible via maxscript.

Logged (everything: VFB maxscript access, saving/loading CONF, custom buttons).

(Internal ID=540083079)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-07-24, 15:48:04
Reply #6

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Is it possible to add buttons for example?

No

Or change settings in the Tone mapping area via maxscript?

Yes, you can access all VFB settings as renderer properties, all "colorMap_*" properties (tone mapping+LUT), "bloomGlare_*" for B&G. Those for sharpening/blurring are less consistent in naming unfortunately, and there are all "curves_*" ones.

I tried hard to understand your issue and went through the other thread as well but failed.

What is exactly the problem to load a *.conf file into the camera(s) before starting to batch/render them? Or to load a conf file into the VFB to quickly switch the settings? Ok, I see at least two things to improve right now if I would like to achieve a quick change:

1. The VFB or the CoronaCamera, they do not remember any paths at all (yes, this is very bad and annoying when working in a project based structure). If so, it would be at least only click + double click to load a conf from a directory (instead of one click or scroll if it would be a list or button like in your mockup). This has to be improved by the Corona team, alternatively we could get a function in the maxscript interface to load *.conf files into VFB.

2. There could be finally that "Throw current VFB postprocessing settings into selected/active CoronaCamera" option. But this could be quite easily scripted (button/hotkey) with the exception of curves, because CoronaCameras don't have them :)

Would those changes/improvements go in the desired direction?

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-07-24, 16:02:59
Reply #7

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Currently the only available workaround is using the Render Setup > Camera settings, which are accessible via maxscript.

Ok, I give up trying to understand what all are talking about here :] Render Setup -> Camera settings ARE the VFB settings if no override (CoronaCamera with "override" enabled or legacy CameraMod) is used.

Good Luck

2020-07-24, 17:06:45
Reply #8

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Got it. Thanks.

What is exactly the problem to load a *.conf file into the camera(s) before starting to batch/render them? Or to load a conf file into the VFB to quickly switch the settings?
Thanks Frood.

I don't use the per camera settings. I only use the VFB. This is because I need a consistent exposure/look on multiple cameras.

In my view the idea is to give the process a better UI. That's it.
Do you know the script Copitor? Sure, you can save an object from one scene and merge it into another. But copitor allows you to do this by clicking a button.

Ok, I see at least two things to improve right now if I would like to achieve a quick change:

2. There could be finally that "Throw current VFB postprocessing settings into selected/active CoronaCamera" option. But this could be quite easily scripted (button/hotkey) with the exception of curves, because CoronaCameras don't have them :)

Here again you'd need to first select the desired cameras, and then "throw" the settings to them. If you have 200 cameras in one scene, selecting some of them (just the desired cameras) to apply those settings every time can be a daunting task.
I prefer to have the VFB as my only interface for all the cameras and select presets depending on the view and material setup I'm using. This is also helpful when you're not rendering from a camera but from a perspective view.

Would those changes/improvements go in the desired direction?

I don't think so unfortunately.

2020-07-24, 17:51:24
Reply #9

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH

So it is really only about loading conf files more quickly and convenient? And if you render something, you would like to go into the camera view, select the postprocessing settings manually by clicking a "preset" (if they do not fit already) and then start to render?

Good Luck

2020-07-24, 18:09:13
Reply #10

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So it is really only about loading conf files more quickly and convenient? And if you render something, you would like to go into the camera view, select the postprocessing settings manually by clicking a "preset" (if they do not fit already) and then start to render?

That's right.

2020-07-24, 18:22:33
Reply #11

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Got it, but then (1.) would be at least a slight improvement (which I would like to have for myself as well). Certainly something to consider when overhauling the VFB some day.

Good Luck

2021-06-14, 17:53:24
Reply #12

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Good Luck

I'd like to bring this up again to be considered for the list of new features/poll. Thanks.