Author Topic: Noise level - little request  (Read 2354 times)

2018-02-28, 08:59:49

Lamarc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have a small issue that eats quite a lot of time rendering. Im mostly rendering using the noise level as a stopping point. Basically the noise Level is reevaluated each after 5 passes. Now it turns out that for the most stuff i am doing im already around 3-4% noise after 15-20 passes. Now sometimes after lets say 15 passes ive got 4,05% noise so corona will render 5 more passes even when there is only 1 additional needed or sth to get below the 4% target noise.

Quite often i render 4 passes more then needed which can be a minute or more per frame. Now i find myself playing with the sampling balance for the only reason to change the time needed per pass(less computation effort per pass) to waste less time with the overhead. Turns out im possibly not saving any time because its less efficient have less computation per pass.

What i would realy like to have is a reevaluation of the current noise level on a per pass basis - if that comes with a flaw maybe make it an option in the rendersettings like "check noise level after x passes:"

sidenotes:
- im doing mainly booth designs
- we are talking 5-6min renders(where a min more or less feels taxing)

2018-02-28, 10:10:07
Reply #1

NicoB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hej Lamarc,

you can tell corona to do exactly what you described.
Go to system settings - enable development / experimental stuff.
Search for "Adaptivity and denosing" (second line) and set the adaptivity recalculation to 1.
(It is set to 5).

I dont know if that makes rendering a bit slower,
as the software has to do something each pass...?
But I think that summs up only for longer renders.

best regards
Nico

2018-02-28, 12:48:59
Reply #2

Lamarc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
looks like ive completly overlooked that one. Thanks :)

2018-03-01, 14:15:15
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The default is set to 5 for a reason, and generally those settings should not be touched unless it's absolutely necessary. :)

Setting to 1 may result in much slower rendering, and also may break the way adaptivity is supposed to work. I would not go that low, unless it's not causing any troubles. Values like 2 or 3 may be worth a try.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-03-11, 19:57:38
Reply #4

Gandolf

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • One Click Magic
I know this is old but i just searched for a solution for the exact same problem. Setting the adaptivity recalc to 1 instead of 5 actually saves me over a minute per frame.

noise lilit of 10%
With 5 passes: ~4:40min terminates at roughly 7.2%*
With 1 Passes: ~3:20min terminates at roughly 9.6%*

*based on an average of 3 renderings per setting.

I have no idea about the process behind it but for me it looks like it could be worth to atleast think about a way to make the whole noise update more frequent.
Right now im rendering a simulation with over 1200 frames. Changing this setting saves me over a day.

Cheers, thank you Render Legion for Corona!