Author Topic: displacement help  (Read 2696 times)

2017-04-18, 22:02:33

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
I would like to try doing an animation of this scene, but getting stuck on getting as good displacement as with vray. Plus it looks terrible when animated. Should I just abandon using displacement on the rug and just use bump/normal bump?

I have tried setting the displacement to world units but it is very hard to control

http://www.the-boundary.com/elizabeth/4e3rb8o8m3zdx5kyprguou5ynrgufm

this is an example of where 2d displacement would be a huge help i think.

2017-04-19, 10:00:48
Reply #1

Dippndots

• Active Users
  • Alex Fagan Co-Founder at The Faction
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
I've resorted to the displace modifier a lot recently, polys are cheap right?! A combo of that a decent normal map usually gets the job done for stuff like stone walls, haven't tried on something as "noisy" as a rug though.

2017-04-19, 11:55:37
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
For now our suggestion is to use displacement for larger scale features of objects, clearly visible to the camera (e.g. close to it). Bump/normal maps should be usually used for smaller details.
Other than that, using world-space displacement should help get rid of flickering, which is otherwise visible in animations.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-04-20, 13:06:07
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
World space displacement is almost never answer to anything. It pretty much always produces visually inferior results and costs ridiculous amounts of RAM. I don't even think it's appropriate to keep suggesting it as a solution/workaround, because in most cases, it will just waste people's time without really helping them.

2017-04-20, 15:37:54
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I was never successful in displacing this kind of micro-noisy carpet yet in Corona.

Instead, I just give it some more shell/push thickness and use obscene amount of normal mapping. Now when terminator is gone, it works rather sufficiently.

This kind of carpet now actually looks way better in real-time with their parallax occlusion bump map :- ) I've heard F-Storm integrated it instead of displacement in some form ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-04-20, 16:12:23
Reply #5

NicoB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hej Peter,

as seen on the homepage I would go with the attached displace map.
(Maybe manipulate it further..16bit or so).

I´m always tiling this map pretty small with displace screensize 1.2 px.
I know this is may sound over board, but if there´s enough RAM you could go even to 1.0.

Give it a try and grettings to Simon! :)

best
Nico

2017-04-20, 16:16:17
Reply #6

NicoB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
..I forgot something.

For the settings in material I go for.
-0,3cm MIN  &
+0,7cm MAX

Or the other way around..what looks best.

(depending on object thickness)

best
Nico