Author Topic: 3dsmax resetting UI  (Read 17228 times)

2016-11-17, 16:43:20
Reply #15

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have this issue several times every day (I almost always have 2 Max instances open).

I created 2 Windows Batch Files and pinned the folder with those batch files so I just need to double click on 2 files and all my settings are restored.

Not a perfect solution, but for me it is a lot faster than having to locate the folders I need to restore my settings every time.

Hoping for a solution to this!

2016-11-18, 11:16:46
Reply #16

Jacinto Monteiro

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Moved to Windows 10.

Moved to 3ds max 2016.

Same reset UI problems as you Peter.

2016-11-18, 15:03:10
Reply #17

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I did everything and never solved that resetting UI problem!!!

And another thing I've struggled with is huge file size due to track notes!

Tones of scripts out there, tones of questions asked to Autodesk but some  users didn't find any solition to solve this problem!!!

2016-11-18, 18:39:44
Reply #18

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What did the trick for me in 2017 is to give the current user read/write privileges to max root and all child folders/files. It *should* be looking in the user paths but for some reason it won't on my system and tries to load settings from max root. Since max can't write into max root folder when it closes it'll not save any changes I do, so it's the only workaround that'll work for me.

One odd thing that we also have is that another user's account will override my account's max settings in 2017, I really have no clue how this can happen.

Managing the UI (and bringing user settings to a new version) is crazily difficult and unreliable in Max, I hope it'll get reviewed for the next version.

2016-11-18, 19:43:16
Reply #19

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
give the current user read/write privileges to max root and all child folders/files

I do that for (trusted) domain users for the whole "Program Files" path because of all that software using  paths/user profiles badly. Saves me a lot of time. And as we know, 3dsMax is one of those.

for some reason it won't on my system and tries to load settings from max root.

This is also something I allways change because I want all settings to be the same for all users. And nothing is lost when a user profile gets corrupt for some reason. This setting has been in "install.ini" to date.

Had no time to testinstall 2017 so... could you please check if ther is (still) a file called "install.ini" in the max root please? And if so, could you post it´s content for me? That would be great. Because if they changed that option, it would be a lot of work for me to migrate to 2017 here. And this could also be part of your problems.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-11-18, 20:12:44
Reply #20

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Will only be able to look it up on Monday, will do if no one else does before.

Actually, this could really be the issue. If 2017 defaults to max root and has no write privileges it will fail to save any custom changes. That would indeed explain both of our issues. Good point.

2022-04-26, 09:08:59
Reply #21

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I know this is a SUPER old thread...

I'm using Max 2022, Win 10 and getting this same problem.

Same set-up on another PC doesn't have this reset problem. Very frustrating.

Was there ever a consensus on how to fix this issue?
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-05-16, 07:57:12
Reply #22

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For me this only happens when closing two instances of Max at the same time.  My understanding is that Max ‘writes’ the preferences upon close, and if two instances are closing same time you get corruption.  My $0.02 hope it helps!

2022-07-14, 12:10:20
Reply #23

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For me this only happens when closing two instances of Max at the same time.  My understanding is that Max ‘writes’ the preferences upon close, and if two instances are closing same time you get corruption.  My $0.02 hope it helps!

Thanks danio1011, your $0.02 helped a lot. I had this issue for a week in 3ds max 2022 and I have tried different solutions with no luck. As you wrote, my settings got corrupted. Thanks again !

2022-07-14, 14:37:45
Reply #24

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
When i switched from Max 2014 to Max 2016, i was suffering from this issue almost daily. Since then i learned to avoid to have 2 Max instances running simultaneously, or if i do, i always take care to not to close them both at the same time. This simple technique almost completely cures resetting UI curse for me.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures