Author Topic: GearVR 360 panorama best practice  (Read 6295 times)

2016-08-11, 18:54:08

samuelAB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried making a 360 render for the GearVR with Corona, but I put the headset on and it did not look right. I was wondering if anybody did this successfully and what setting they used?

I applied the camera modifier, the projection type is spherical.

The spherical VR mod is on. 70mm for eye separation (GearVR IPD) and focal point for eye converge distance.

Any help or best practices would be appreciated.

2016-08-11, 19:59:59
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
For the GearVR, I suggest signing up for the Corona VR beta at http://beta.theconstruct.tech/coronavr, as the GearVR is the first device it is developed for (with more to follow!) It gives you a nice easy workflow to go from Corona to the GearVR, and has helpful documentation to walk you through the process.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-08-11, 21:18:50
Reply #2

samuelAB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Geat! I work for InsiteVR, we support 360 renderings and I'm writing a detailed article on how to render architectural 360 images with Corona for the GearVR from Revit model :)

Our website: www.insitevr.com
Our 360 documentation (currently updating) help.insitevr.com/hc/en-us/categories/201948368-360-Images

2016-08-12, 11:30:08
Reply #3

LuckyFox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Scans
Square aspect ratio?
Converge eyes - off
Eye separation 6.3

2016-09-12, 02:09:16
Reply #4

samuelAB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Your numbers seem very very wrong... Did you actually try this Lucky Fox? If your eyes are 6 inches away from each other, I would go see a doctor. Unless you are using centimeters.

I found this to be more comfortable, but still not ideal:

Eye separation: 2-24/32"
Eye Front Offset: 0 (no idea what this is and the documentation does not help)
Converge eyes at: 4" (estimated focal distance of the Gear VR = 1.3m)

2016-09-12, 10:02:34
Reply #5

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Default values work perfectly.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-09-12, 14:12:03
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The video tutorial for rendering for VR is at:

Default values do indeed work perfectly, only exception I've found in testing would be a very closed space, such as a car interior. The solution there is to reduce the Eye Separation from 63 (mm) effectively making the viewer three times smaller, or the scene three times larger, and avoiding the split image / cross-eyed effect for objects that get as close as 0.5m.

Eye Front Offset I have never found a use for, and just leave it at default :) It basically moves the eyes from the location of the camera either forward or backward. So in the example image, the offset of 20 would move the eye position that rendering takes place from to where the plane is in the scene. As noted in the tooltip, never needs to be adjusted (AFAIK, moving the camera itself would have the same effect).

Converge Eyes however should be taken from the distance of the farthest object in the scene rather than anything about your viewing device - at Converge Eyes set to infinity, the split image effect begins for objects at around 0.5m away; as you lower it, the split image effect will reduce for those close objects, but begin to occur for more distant objects now instead. Generally, though, it does not need adjusting - even if objects are close, like the car interior scenario, changing the Eye Separation gives better results and means that things like HDRI backgrounds or distant objects seen outside do not begin to have a split image effect.

Hope this helps!

2016-09-12, 19:12:26
Reply #7

samuelAB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification!

I was not aware of this new VR video, will check it out :)

2016-09-12, 19:13:19
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
No problem! Hope the video proves useful, let me know if there are any questions!

2016-09-19, 14:10:51
Reply #9

LuckyFox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Scans
Your numbers seem very very wrong... Did you actually try this Lucky Fox? If your eyes are 6 inches away from each other, I would go see a doctor. Unless you are using centimeters.

I found this to be more comfortable, but still not ideal:

Eye separation: 2-24/32"
Eye Front Offset: 0 (no idea what this is and the documentation does not help)
Converge eyes at: 4" (estimated focal distance of the Gear VR = 1.3m)

sorry Samuel, by default and since Corona is from Europe, I was intending non-retard units. so 6.3 cm

2016-09-21, 20:39:24
Reply #10

samuelAB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
LOL, I wish I could work in mm or cm, I'm from Canada, but living in NYC.

To go from Revit to 3ds Max, I'm obliged to work in inches.