Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.4%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
29 (6.2%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.8%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
27 (5.8%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
16 (3.4%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.4%)
Speed of rendering improvements
42 (9%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
31 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
88 (18.9%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.6%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.9%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1.1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.6%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
23 (4.9%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 524320 times)

2022-10-03, 17:00:55
Reply #1050

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Pattern should be very good at adding fuzzy hairs, without taking up too much resources (since the source geometry is only loaded once), if you don't want to wait :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-10-03, 17:29:22
Reply #1051

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Pattern should be very good at adding fuzzy hairs, without taking up too much resources (since the source geometry is only loaded once), if you don't want to wait :)
In many cases, yes. I was thinking about cases like the attached, when pattern wouldn't really work well and you need to use hair and fur; I always end up wishing you could add more tiny hair to each strand to make it look more fuzzy. Although an opacity map could work too. I don't know. Just saying.
Otherwise, I'm not sure what a dedicated fabric shader would be for.

2022-10-23, 00:50:17
Reply #1052

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If possible could we see a 'Improved volumetrics' option?
Specifically render speed and previewing in IR as well as being able to render volumetrics from within a volume.

Just wanting to bump this to see if it could be added to the poll?

2022-10-23, 15:53:25
Reply #1053

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If possible could we see a 'Improved volumetrics' option?
Specifically render speed and previewing in IR as well as being able to render volumetrics from within a volume.

Just wanting to bump this to see if it could be added to the poll?
I would definitely vote this as #2 after GPU hybrid rendering.
Volumetric and stage lights are the main elements of most of my projects.
« Last Edit: 2022-10-29, 03:33:42 by Basshunter »

2022-10-26, 20:31:10
Reply #1054

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com

2022-10-27, 11:56:34
Reply #1055

triget

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-10-29, 03:33:06
Reply #1056

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2022-10-29, 03:58:37 by Basshunter »

2022-10-29, 05:31:14
Reply #1057

Ehsan.S

• Users
    • View Profile
For version 10 please pay more attention to the animation part:

Parsing performance optimization.
Optimize hair and sss render speed.
Speed of interactive rendering when playback or rolling on timeline.
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader.
A filter for fireflies or lower fireflies result for scenes with many reflection materials.
Optimize corona high quality AI for better result.
etc.

2022-10-29, 14:09:32
Reply #1058

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
GPU/Hybrid Rendering!

+1000

2022-10-29, 14:28:44
Reply #1059

BardhylM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Can developers explain at least is it possible to "convert" Corona into a GPU render engine, as there are so many Hybrid requests.
Do not get me wrong Hybrid enthusiasts, but I think that would mean rewriting the base code completely, meaning it would not have the qualities of the CPU Corona.
Taking example on Vray, it has been developing the GPU version for so long, and as far as I know it doesn't have quite some features of the CPU version. Meaning the current scenes would need to be converted and adapted for the GPU options, in which we would start complaining about some features that are not implemented like in some other engine (hint: it starts with F).
If that means crippling the current process of Corona in improving features or adding new ones, would that be feasible? Something that would get half results in both fronts, leaving no one satisfied.

I may be wrong completely, that is why a explanation would help in this matter as I am sure the team researched this possibility if they put it in the list of wanted features.

Cheers!

2022-10-29, 19:18:50
Reply #1060

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Can developers explain at least is it possible to "convert" Corona into a GPU render engine, as there are so many Hybrid requests.
Do not get me wrong Hybrid enthusiasts, but I think that would mean rewriting the base code completely, meaning it would not have the qualities of the CPU Corona.
Taking example on Vray, it has been developing the GPU version for so long, and as far as I know it doesn't have quite some features of the CPU version. Meaning the current scenes would need to be converted and adapted for the GPU options, in which we would start complaining about some features that are not implemented like in some other engine (hint: it starts with F).
If that means crippling the current process of Corona in improving features or adding new ones, would that be feasible? Something that would get half results in both fronts, leaving no one satisfied.

I may be wrong completely, that is why a explanation would help in this matter as I am sure the team researched this possibility if they put it in the list of wanted features.

Cheers!

I think you've hit the nail on the head here, perfectly.

I know I've read from the developers themselves, many times in this forum, exactly your explanation for not making a move in GPU. Which I think is 100% fair and reasonable. No need to take steps backward!

Out of interest; what features do you think the aforementioned 'F' renderer is missing? :)
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-10-29, 20:40:19
Reply #1061

BardhylM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Out of interest; what features do you think the aforementioned 'F' renderer is missing? :)
I haven't used it, but from what I've seen it is pretty good and can not say what is missing. I used it as an example for what we usually do in this forum, and what I saw in their group.
Do not like when the community turns salty and criticize other engines, like in the last time when Corona pattern was added they went mad that this is copying their blessed engine.
The next post is "Where CoronaSky, faster!!!" :)

I would think improving some features, trying to make a little faster IR and fixing some early following bugs is my suggestion/vote in this matter.
And also if it is possible to make an exclude option for Denoiser would be fancy in some materials.

Sorry to mods for wandering off the topic a little in these posts!

2022-10-30, 10:20:17
Reply #1062

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Feasibility of Corona going GPU was explained more than once already. You people just don’t listen.

Corona was made for those “less technical” users, yet devs decided to let those users be quite involved in the direction of development. That leads to unrealistic expectations from the community. not far from kids being allowed to drive.

I heard so many dissatisfied voices here over last three or so years. Not constructive critique but simple whining. Very much undeserved. Be grateful for being allowed to be involved and be mindful of most likely quite limited experience with software development.

Regarding hybrid rendering - who tried it? and of those who did - who claims that this limited use case feature is the next important step for Corona?

Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-10-30, 14:25:11
Reply #1063

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree that Vray GPU is missing quite a few features which is a bit of a let down. However in theory if Hybrid rendering was introduced such as how Redshift/Cycles has done it what's wrong with that? The way I imagine it would be if you have a GPU that you can enable to speed up rendering you click the button, if not use the CPU or both. That sounds great to me as long as all current features work. This also means you get to keep your render farm in case they don't have powerful GPUs for overnight stuff. That scenario sounds like a win/win to me.

2022-10-30, 14:25:34
Reply #1064

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Regarding hybrid rendering - who tried it? and of those who did - who claims that this limited use case feature is the next important step for Corona?

I would say that in terms of scalability, GPU/hybrid rendering is absolutely the future of rendering. And those that dont embrace it in some capacity are at risk of being left behind.

I agree that theres reasons why corona isnt made or suited for GPU and its not happening any time soon in any major way. But utilising GPU power is without a doubt an important step for the whole industry.

Whilst it was made to require less technical knowledge, it was also supposed to not get in the way or be an obstruction to quality which it does beautifully. You shouldnt have to be a technician to be able to do accurate and efficient light transport calculations when you have a team of developers that really know what they're doingt.

There has definitely been some ridiculous entitlement on the forum in recent years leading to heated debates. I think engaging with the community is something the dev team has done really very well though and is part of the reason why i still champion the software to anyone thatll listen. Its made my job easier every single day for the past 8 years and being able to utilise coprocessing would be a great help for freelancers like myself who dont have render farms in-house but have a decent GPU thats sitting idle most of the time. Even passing specific things like volumetrics or caustics to the GPU would allow us to improve render quality without the time penalty. Though its obviously easier said than done.
« Last Edit: 2022-10-30, 15:23:48 by Jpjapers »