Author Topic: Resolution VS Memory  (Read 4245 times)

2014-11-13, 14:56:15

jetcrow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Im knocked out. 4000x image rendering goes out of memory. 1920 rendered as bullet, and twice lower RAM used. Plz tell me what is it??!!!

2014-11-13, 15:37:48
Reply #1

jetcrow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh! it was internal resolution. delete this topic plz.

2014-11-16, 20:16:38
Reply #2

mga1981

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey man, how do you resolve problem with memory for very high resolution? Thanks

2014-11-17, 05:48:21
Reply #3

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Go to VFB Settings, and under Image filter, turn Internal Res. from 2 to 1. I got the tip here in the forums and helped a lot. Don't really know what it does though...

2014-11-17, 06:23:21
Reply #4

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
  • Corona Certified Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
I've done images as large or close to 10,000px. Have you tried region renders? thats how I did mine, takes a while but I got it done.

Plus I was having the same problem with memory.

2014-11-18, 10:05:06
Reply #5

mga1981

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, i know about filter value in settings, but when i put back to 1 i have jagged edges all over my renders, i post this problem https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,5830.msg40068.html#msg40068

2014-11-18, 14:13:18
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thanks guys, i know about filter value in settings, but when i put back to 1 i have jagged edges all over my renders, i post this problem https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,5830.msg40068.html#msg40068

Yep, if you tonemap in Corona (High compression 1.01-99) then Internal resolution=2 is good and comfortable choice. I still use it myself !.

Btw I render as high as 7680px with internal resolution=2 and I don't have memory issues, even on 32GB node. It does add few gigabytes of memory overhead, but not like double !

Usually memory issues start when something is capable of eating memory linearly, like displacement.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-11-19, 00:25:48
Reply #7

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
I recently did a job with a ton of detail and a huuuuge size (for a close up 7.5m wall print).

Ended up rendering it out in 30.000px x 15.000px

Now that was an exercise! (and a headache), but the solution at the end was using Deadline's tile rendering and outputting 1125 smaller tiles (due to memory problems with 16-32gb), and then stitching it all back together in Nuke.

I can't remember if I ended up keeping internal res 2 or not but I will try and post some images sometime soon. 

2014-11-19, 01:52:02
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I recently did a job with a ton of detail and a huuuuge size (for a close up 7.5m wall print).

Now that was an exercise! (and a headache), but the solution at the end was using Deadline's tile rendering and outputting 1125 smaller tiles (due to memory problems with 16-32gb), and then stitching it all back together in Nuke.

I can't remember if I ended up keeping internal res 2 or not but I will try and post some images sometime soon.

I could be wrong, but in theory, keeping internal resolution 2 when there will be stitching later doesn't seem good idea since the anti-alias will happen only inside each tile, but not on borders (since the tile can't be aware of its neighbors). Maybe the visual difference would be small, maybe it would produce slight aliased grid along the merges borders of tiles... I don't know. Just my understanding, could be completely wrong..
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-11-19, 07:31:30
Reply #9

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media

I could be wrong, but in theory, keeping internal resolution 2 when there will be stitching later doesn't seem good idea since the anti-alias will happen only inside each tile, but not on borders (since the tile can't be aware of its neighbors). Maybe the visual difference would be small, maybe it would produce slight aliased grid along the merges borders of tiles... I don't know. Just my understanding, could be completely wrong..

You could be very right, and I did end up using an internal res value of "1" because it was an exercise of memory usage, so did it naturally (maybe a bit lucky even).
anyway due to the size of the render and project, the amount of detail needed was absurd. 

fun facts:
Max file size: 1.847GB
Photoshop file size: 17GB
Jpeg output (quality 12 from PS): 340mb
16bit Tiff output (from PS): 870mb

on a machine with 32GB of ram, it took about 35mins to save the PS file during post production.