Author Topic: Corona VFB vs Picture Viewer  (Read 168 times)

2024-04-24, 19:37:39

GazzaMataz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Peeps

OK I am using a PC with a TR 1920 CPU running at 3.5 ghz and when I render through VFB the test render I am doing takes 4 mins. When I do the same through Picture Viewer it takes the same. Now a colleague of mine has a Studio Mac which benches twice the speed of my PC using Corona Benchmark. He is rendering the same scene in VFB in just 1 min and yet it takes him 2 mins in Picture Viewer. He does have twice the RAM (64gb as opposed to my 32gb) as I do but I don't think that should make any difference.

What I want to know is how is he getting the 4x speed improvement in VFB over me? In theory my renders should only take twice as long…

2024-04-25, 10:26:47
Reply #1

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you checked the Corona Benchmark scores? There is a few different Mac Studios to compare from but here is the M2 Ultra with 64gb ram.

2024-04-25, 10:48:00
Reply #2

GazzaMataz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for this James, I have checked the scores and my colleagues Mac should only be twice as fast. The issue here is that he seems to get faster renders through Corona VFB than PV whereas I don't. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong?

At least I know from those results you have posted it definitely isn't anything to do with only having 32gb RAM which I suspected.

2024-04-25, 10:59:34
Reply #3

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
From that benchmark the Mac is almost 3x faster.

I assume you are rendering the same scene, do you get any RAM warnings on your machine?

Regarding the speed from VFB vs PV no idea about that, someone else might have some knowledge to share.

2024-04-25, 12:26:59
Reply #4

GazzaMataz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yup same scene, same textures etc. The Corona benchmarks between out two machines are shown. His is only supposed to be twice as fast and yet it seems to get four times the speed using VFB…

No RSM warnings either.

2024-04-25, 12:56:56
Reply #5

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah I see so its the M1 Studio. Then yeah you are right about 2x faster.

Maybe have a read through the threadripper thread, I remember someone saying they turned something off in bios or something. Could be related. Im just guessing until someone else can chime in.