Author Topic: Lit Acrylic Sign Material  (Read 6413 times)

2015-12-09, 20:31:20

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been trying to make a Corona Material for a lit acrylic sign like this:

I've tried using a translucent material with a light behind it, a lit material, and even scattering but I just can't seem to get the look right. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

Apologies if this is an easy material, I'm fairly new to the 3d rendering world. Thanks for the help!

2015-12-10, 11:35:32
Reply #1

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Like this?

I attached 2 different ways. One using lights in the box (like it is in real life. Slower but it shows the thinkness of the material). And one using self illumination of the blue material. (faster and way less noisy but loses the acrylic material thinkness). I haven't used scattering here btw.
check this link! https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515603
I really matters how the sign will be used in your scene.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-10, 11:51:14 by rambambulli »

2015-12-10, 12:07:25
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Additionally you can plug CoronaAO into self illum slot to simulate those edge darkenings.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-12-10, 12:50:36
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I didn't get it if you are after the result shown in the picture, or a "neon" with acrylic case, so here are two examples. Each of them is using a different approach!

acrylic - the one with sunlight - using SSS materials for all objects
acrylic-lit - the one with neon - only two objects have materials updated, this time using translucency only, the background square and the "corona" text. Square has a light inside - I think it looks pretty ok, "corona" has the material of the back face set to CoronaLight and normals flipped so that it's glowing inside only.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-12-10, 16:04:17
Reply #4

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the help! I was after the look like rambambulli's first picture and maru's second picture. Sorry if my first post wasn't very clear. I really like the look of the material thickness, thanks for the link. I like the idea of using AO to simulate it as well. It looks like translucency is the key.

Thanks again for the help,I appreciate it.

2015-12-12, 01:10:48
Reply #5

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
Additionally you can plug CoronaAO into self illum slot to simulate those edge darkenings.

yep, thx, cause that applies to a lot

Is OP into retail, or sign man'f?
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB