Author Topic: Transportation Hub  (Read 5033 times)

2018-03-20, 08:26:46

Centurian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is what I got after trying quite a lot.

Regards,
Centurian

2018-03-22, 16:49:17
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I like this image, but here are some things which caught my eye and I think could be improved:
-The lens flare effect - it hardly ever improves a work. I would vote to remove it completely. :)
-Bloom and glare - probably a bit too strong
-Materials of the ground plane - too reflective, lack structure
-Brick walls - the tiling is too obvious
-Spherical lights in the building - maybe they could use some detail, like a gradient map for the emission?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-03-22, 17:07:31
Reply #2

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
What caught my attention was that the car that we see from the back is so blurred when it should be pretty slow after the speed bump and in front of the pedestrian crossing.

2018-03-22, 20:18:35
Reply #3

Centurian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I like this image, but here are some things which caught my eye and I think could be improved:
-The lens flare effect - it hardly ever improves a work. I would vote to remove it completely. :)
-Bloom and glare - probably a bit too strong
-Materials of the ground plane - too reflective, lack structure
-Brick walls - the tiling is too obvious
-Spherical lights in the building - maybe they could use some detail, like a gradient map for the emission?

To be honest, I did the lens flare and overpowering bloom so as to distribute the focus in the image in order to hide the general shortcomings in the render lol. But the points you made are very well noted for the next renders. Don't know if vegetation caught your eye but it surely isn't satisfactory enough to me, especially when everything is of the same green tone. Leafs with translucency is what I'm trying to work on.
Regarding the brick tiling, is there any simple way to achieve the non uniformity without going much in the detail? like applying some sort of map onto it?

What caught my attention was that the car that we see from the back is so blurred when it should be pretty slow after the speed bump and in front of the pedestrian crossing.

Hehe! I thought it would be hardly noticiable but seems pretty obvious now when you pointed it so easily. Will definitely keep that in mind now :)

Regards

2018-03-22, 20:51:17
Reply #4

apjasko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Regarding the brick tiling, is there any simple way to achieve the non uniformity without going much in the detail? like applying some sort of map onto it?

For bricks on large surfaces, I use BerconTile and it works great. You can control the variety using MultiTexture and just a single brick texture. To further add variety to the bricks, you can add a different BerconTile map to the reflection glossiness slot with different MultiTexture settings. And finally you can use the Bump Converter map to add the relief of the bricks. In the end you would have 3 layers of variety, with some tweaking you can get a pretty convincing brick surface with little effort. See attached for a quick sample I made.

2018-03-22, 20:57:09
Reply #5

apjasko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
After looking closely at the image, did you use Corona Scatter or Forest Pack for the grass in the median? If Forest Pack, use the optimize material button in the material rollout, and use "Apply ForestEdge". Then inside the Areas rollout, under Boundary Checking, use Edge. Or if Corona scatter, follow this tutorial:
By using this sort of technique, you can limit where your grass scatters to just the soil and not spill out as you have it now. Additionally you can change the transformation limits in either Corona Scatter or ForestPack to instantly get a more convincing grass.

Also for your background, simple throwing in a photo that matches your perspective and setting will go a long way.

2018-03-23, 06:31:44
Reply #6

Centurian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For bricks on large surfaces, I use BerconTile and it works great. You can control the variety using MultiTexture and just a single brick texture. To further add variety to the bricks, you can add a different BerconTile map to the reflection glossiness slot with different MultiTexture settings. And finally you can use the Bump Converter map to add the relief of the bricks. In the end you would have 3 layers of variety, with some tweaking you can get a pretty convincing brick surface with little effort. See attached for a quick sample I made.

That seems quite useful. I will definitely give it a try and see how it turns out. :)

After looking closely at the image, did you use Corona Scatter or Forest Pack for the grass in the median? If Forest Pack, use the optimize material button in the material rollout, and use "Apply ForestEdge". Then inside the Areas rollout, under Boundary Checking, use Edge. Or if Corona scatter, follow this tutorial:  By using this sort of technique, you can limit where your grass scatters to just the soil and not spill out as you have it now. Additionally you can change the transformation limits in either Corona Scatter or ForestPack to instantly get a more convincing grass.

Also for your background, simple throwing in a photo that matches your perspective and setting will go a long way.

I have used Corona Scatter here . The tutorial seems pretty clear for the grass scatters, will follow these for the next one.
Thanks a lot for the inputs, the points will turn out to be quite useful :)

Regards

2018-03-27, 17:01:12
Reply #7

aldola

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi!  the thing that confuses me the most is that looking at the image you dont know if it is during the day or its taken at night, if its at night i will try to reduce the intensity of the environment and give some priority to the artificial lights, try to use some disc lights with photometric files instead of that big spheres and model some more stuff inside the building this will increase the reality a lot.

i don't know if you are using an hdri, but look into these ones, http://noemotionhdrs.net/ they will give you lighting and a good sky too

look from some real references here http://ultimasreportagens.com/ and try to imitate real life lighting

good luck

2018-03-29, 13:49:52
Reply #8

Centurian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi! Well I guess that was deliberate because such a scene will never occur in the real world but I had some things to incorporate, like having a white fins to be prominent with their shadows clearly defining them. At the same time I wanted the store lights and building lights to be visible.. You might get a better idea as to what I was trying to achieve from this link :

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=19665.0

Well I wasn't really able to achieve that but still covered some of the points like the building lights as well as the sun light in a same render. I used an HDRI but then redid it on photoshop towards a more darker tone. But still it's not towards the realistic side as my reference images were..still don't know the reason for that..maybe the textures?

By the way, Thanks alot for your feedback and links.. It is surely a big help :)

Regards,
Centurian