Author Topic: Any point to invest to RTX card if you are mainly working with corona?  (Read 5412 times)

2019-10-04, 06:54:02

vermu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am getting a new setup and I was wondering is there any point to get rtx card for corona? I am currently using 1080 ti. I saw vray GPU benchmark and 1080 ti had 100 and 2080 ti 51 seconds. That seems quite a big leap forward when in games the leap is quite modest. But I want to check out if the results will be the same with corona? If RTX cards won't bring real benefits I'll take 1080 ti from the old machine.

2019-10-04, 11:20:15
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
If you are solely using it for Corona then in my opinion you aren't missing out anything. Even a 970 will be fine for denoising purposes and the viewport with the 1080ti will rock fine :)

The 2080ti is obviously faster overall (normal gen leap) but that probably matters only for GPU rendering or games.

As far as RTX itself goes, games will obviously rock it compared to non-RTX cards if you want to have RTX effects enabled. At least the 2080ti, other RTX cards are a tad too slow to run RTX in its full form right and in higher res. That said, we are still waiting for AMD to show us how they are going to approach raytracing in games so there is that.

RTX for professional purposes... Some early benchmarks from GPU render engines show impressive speedups in production scenes (from 1.5x to like 3x for interiors, up to 7x for exteriors) but it remains to be seen how it works in practice. I heard there are some other applications that will use RTX but I totally forgot what those were - Could have been some video editing apps and stuff. If I'm not mistaken they are still ironing out the Optix core (Nvidia SDK for RT essentially) and migrating to the latest version.

Anyho, hope that helps :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-10-09, 21:47:12
Reply #2

ChrisMyatt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey there :)

Corona has always been a cpu based render. Buying an rtx isnt worth the buck for offline rendering. You are best spending the money on CPU and RAM. The RTX would play a role in viewport performance of your 3d software but not for actual rendering really.

Corona works best with a good cpu, with plenty of cores and Ram 64-128 preferable. I would say get that before a gpu. Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask

Chris

2019-10-12, 01:10:04
Reply #3

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
nVidia seems to be dropping off older generation GPUs from Optix support, so that might factor in to your decision making FYI.  I think they just dropped Kepler support but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

2019-10-12, 12:54:19
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
As nkilar said, even the GPU rendering score for renderers that do or will support RTX (like VrayNextGPU), that was best case scenario. I've seen benchmarks with opposite result too :- ).

Regardless, updating one generation top-level GPU for following generation one is not worth the money, even if you could use it. Wait at least for the next 2020 generation. Paying 1000 Euros for a card with 11GB is not good idea in any sense.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!