Author Topic: - Lock exposure (Modifier and Camera rolllout) -  (Read 10018 times)

2013-09-13, 19:16:22

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Hi,

I don't know if you have my same experience.
Every time I'm working with camera exposure I've this problem. I want to explain me...
for example, I find the correct settings for exposure, but DOF is too strong.
I play with f-stop, or shutter speed, but, obviously, exposure changes.
So, my request:
why not add a check-box like "lock exposure" So, if I change f-stop, ISO change accordingly?

2013-09-13, 20:49:07
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
That would COMPLETELY defeat the point of Physical camera.

If you do not want these dependencies, then why would you want those 3 settings to control exposure at all? There is an option to turn on physical camera, and use just exposure compensation and then tweak DoF and motion blur separately.

These settings depend on each other like real world camera does. It makes no sense to break them apart. If you do not want to adapt to real world camera you do not need to. Just go to Camera rollout in render settings, and uncheck exposure. Then exposure will be controlled by exposure compensation in post processing settings, independently of shutter and F/stop.

2013-09-13, 21:30:36
Reply #2

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
I understand your point of view, and I don't want to "break" the  Physical camera's main goal. I would like to add more flexibility and speed in our work-flow.
In you want, you can use this option ;-)

2013-09-13, 21:33:17
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I understand your point of view, and I don't want to "break" the  Physical camera's main goal. I would like to add more flexibility and speed in our work-flow.
In you want, you can use this option ;-)

Yes, and as i stated in my previous post, there already is that option. Maybe some things in UI will be just moved and renamed to make it more self-explanatory :)

2013-09-13, 23:17:33
Reply #4

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My DSLR has a TV/AV-priority mode, which is a fancy way of saying manual aperture and shutter speed while still keeping auto-ISO. It's actually pretty handy for controlling motion blur and depth of field, while still not worrying about manual exposure. It would actually be really handy to have a setting where the ISO setting automatically compensates for changes to f-stop and shutter speed. Juts a tickbox next to ISO: "auto". While in auto-mode it would automatically change to maintain the same effective exposure. Turn off auto mode and it locks at the current value.

2013-09-13, 23:35:04
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
And that would be no different to what controlling exposure using exposure compensation right now does :) So there is really no need to have two knobs doing the same thing. I know everyone wants their 10 features specific to their workflow. But the renderer should not be only flexible...  there needs to be a right balance between flexibility, versatility, simplicity and ergonomics.

2013-09-13, 23:37:04
Reply #6

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And that would be no different to what controlling exposure using exposure compensation right now does :)
Well, it would actually be kind of different. Doing it the way I suggested means that you could very easily match real-world exposure to an actual camera by manually entering f-stop, shutter and sensitivity (with "auto" off). Then you could turn auto back on and tweak the f-stop to control depth of field without worrying about motion blur or exposure -- it would be dealt with automatically.

2013-09-14, 11:28:29
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes, this is actually very handy, and imho very easy to implement feature. It's definitely not against physical camera at all. Hardly anyone uses completely "manual" settings, in which they tweak f-stop, shutter and ISO separatedly, most people even professionals tend to use either shutter or f-stop priority mode, which tweaks the rest. That way you get easily consisent results with warying depth.

On the hand, yeah, this is just luxury that even 90perc. of renderers don't feature natively (maybe reason why most 3D people still don't understand the heck out of physical camera).
But it isn't gimmick.

Still, I like the way it is implemented now, for me that's more then enough. I never understood the fascination of real-world values. Tweaking exposure and DOF completely separated is something photographer or cinema guys would DREAM of, yet, 3D guys want to emulate every single shit possible (chroma...),no matter what.

I agree with Rawa though that ergonomy and cleannes of renderer is more important, I think there is way bigger market for that than uber-robust feature ridden behemoth than really only benefits few "tweak-it-all" guys.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-14, 11:39:04 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-12-03, 09:47:00
Reply #8

furyferret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I would also love a setting that allows you to adjust the DOF without affecting exposure, but that is camera specific. I think the way it works now is perfect for me (adjust the F stop without affecting exposure) but then it doesn't let me batch render with varying levels of DOF.

Would it be possible to make it camera specific?

2013-12-03, 13:27:29
Reply #9

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ravalanche

Is ISO simply representing the render dialog exposure compensation?   would it be possible to have exposure compensation on a per camera basis as independent as the render dialog one? Just probably saying the same with different semantics but in situations where there are multiple cameras in the same scene it could be useful. I personally don't find the imitation of a physical camera too useful but if there is a "physical" camera then it should be as flexible as the most manual of cameras to the most automatic ones ( on a per camera basis ).

2013-12-03, 13:45:57
Reply #10

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh never mind my question of a per camera basis. Just saw keymaster post about the camera mod., will have to use the physical cam ISO for this it seems.

2014-04-21, 16:43:13
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)