Author Topic: [WIP] Theatre/ learning Corona  (Read 16126 times)

2012-10-29, 18:28:11

andreupuig

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • APtecture
Hi Coronauts,
I'm working on a theatre for a friend's last year university project. It came just in time for trying this wonderful renderer! Usually I use vray as my renderer of choice, but some details and materials in this project bring me the idea that Corona will handle this better than vray.
The main hard work for vray could be the ceiling: there are series of rectangular extruded profile that light cache and irradiance map will go crazy to calculate. There are also a lot of blurry reflection and some indirect lights.
At this moment I build the main structure and some furniture (the bookshop on the right), I have to fill the foyer with people (the models in the render are just placeholders) and objects like banners, chairs, actors...
"Secondary ceiling lights" are not defined yet, they will come soon. Exterior light is Corona sky for the environment and a Corona sun set at low altitude to simulate a late summer afternoon.
There will be interior and exterior renders.

Meanwhile I'm trying to understand/optimize render settings. I used PT+HC cache as suggested in the tutorials and in the forum, but some settings are still a mistery. I read and re-read the online documentation, I'm sure that with practice everything will become more familiar.

The big question now is how to reduce all that noise in the fartest part, the wall at the end of the foyer. The material is the same concrete on the left, but it is unrecognizable. The nearest part has low noise level (due to a big opening behind the camera...), but the fartest part show high amount of noise (there's a big opening on the left). Another thing that left me astonished is that the low glossiness metal is noise free. I think that the noise on the fartest part of the foyer is carried by the light samples (!??). Obviously every glass is single plane with single sided glass material. I reached pass 41, but at pass 25/30 the render was the same. I think that if I let render few hours more the noise will reduce, but maybe there are some settings totally wrong due to my inexperience.

I'm still working on this scene, I will post updates soon. Bye!

2012-10-29, 20:47:49
Reply #1

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
well, try gaussian at 2 or turn image filtering off

2012-10-30, 06:07:16
Reply #2

woshilvba

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Coronauts,
I'm working on a theatre for a friend's last year university project. It came just in time for trying this wonderful renderer! Usually I use vray as my renderer of choice, but some details and materials in this project bring me the idea that Corona will handle this better than vray.
The main hard work for vray could be the ceiling: there are series of rectangular extruded profile that light cache and irradiance map will go crazy to calculate. There are also a lot of blurry reflection and some indirect lights.
At this moment I build the main structure and some furniture (the bookshop on the right), I have to fill the foyer with people (the models in the render are just placeholders) and objects like banners, chairs, actors...
"Secondary ceiling lights" are not defined yet, they will come soon. Exterior light is Corona sky for the environment and a Corona sun set at low altitude to simulate a late summer afternoon.
There will be interior and exterior renders.

Meanwhile I'm trying to understand/optimize render settings. I used PT+HC cache as suggested in the tutorials and in the forum, but some settings are still a mistery. I read and re-read the online documentation, I'm sure that with practice everything will become more familiar.

The big question now is how to reduce all that noise in the fartest part, the wall at the end of the foyer. The material is the same concrete on the left, but it is unrecognizable. The nearest part has low noise level (due to a big opening behind the camera...), but the fartest part show high amount of noise (there's a big opening on the left). Another thing that left me astonished is that the low glossiness metal is noise free. I think that the noise on the fartest part of the foyer is carried by the light samples (!??). Obviously every glass is single plane with single sided glass material. I reached pass 41, but at pass 25/30 the render was the same. I think that if I let render few hours more the noise will reduce, but maybe there are some settings totally wrong due to my inexperience.

I'm still working on this scene, I will post updates soon. Bye!
Will adjust the refraction mode Twosided, to reduce glass on the back of Noise.

2012-10-30, 09:08:40
Reply #3

andreupuig

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • APtecture
Will adjust the refraction mode Twosided, to reduce glass on the back of Noise.

Ops, I was tired...I set the opposite as I wrote. Yes every glass material has TWOSIDED option active.

I tried Gaussian at 2, but I have to reach high pass values to understand the texture on the wall and it blur the image too much. No image filter gives understandable texture faster, but the biggest noise is carried by lights.

2012-10-30, 09:19:29
Reply #4

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Increase light sample multiplier?

2012-10-30, 09:32:29
Reply #5

andreupuig

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • APtecture
Increase light sample multiplier?

I set it at 10. In an old discussion Rawalance said that 10 is an extreme value. Don't know if that value was specific for that scene or it has to be considered as a general rule.

http://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,167.msg1050.html#msg1050

2012-10-30, 09:34:31
Reply #6

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Try to disable on glass material "cast shadow" and if there is glass that light passes through but that is not visible in the viewport hide it completely. Also try to decrease max sample intensity to 2...

2012-10-30, 10:23:56
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Try to disable on glass material "cast shadow" and if there is glass that light passes through but that is not visible in the viewport hide it completely. Also try to decrease max sample intensity to 2...

As far as I know, you should never disable shadows in Corona as it is non-physical. You can make window glass as a one-sided, single face and in its material properties change type to two-sided, this might help.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-30, 12:31:31 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2012-10-30, 10:58:38
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

dont do this, twosided glass already handles shadows correctly
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-10-30, 11:16:45
Reply #9

woshilvba

• Active Users
    • View Profile

dont do this, twosided glass already handles shadows correctly
I'm looking glass material improvement.At present, the use of twosided glass, do not show the correct refraction.

2012-10-30, 11:20:08
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I'm looking glass material improvement.At present, the use of twosided glass, do not show the correct refraction.
Why? Can you post examples?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2012-10-30, 11:26:49
Reply #11

andreupuig

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • APtecture
Twosided material glass works fine with singlesided object, no problems, really. Surely I will never make fakes as you [keymaster, Rawalance] suggested ;)
Another thing: which are best settings for bitmap texture? The default filtering, pyramidal, with default blur, 1.0, gives me extremely blurred textures. I set everything as none filtering and 0.1 in blur.

2012-10-30, 12:02:01
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Twosided material glass works fine with singlesided object, no problems, really. Surely I will never make fakes as you [keymaster, Rawalance] suggested ;)
Another thing: which are best settings for bitmap texture? The default filtering, pyramidal, with default blur, 1.0, gives me extremely blurred textures. I set everything as none filtering and 0.1 in blur.

I would guess that when you use no filtering the blur value is ignored ;). Use what looks best for you, I'll try to make the shading more consistent
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-10-30, 12:04:02
Reply #13

woshilvba

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why? Can you post examples?
Figure 01 and Figure 001“Onesided”
              The shadow of caustics
              Refractive index correctly

Figure 02 and Figure 002 “Twosided” 
         The light can penetrate the object
              Refractive index will disappear

Figure 03 The use of Vray
             Selection effect of Shadows
             The refractive index is not affected, but the light can penetrate the object

2012-10-30, 12:09:30
Reply #14

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
well with twosided you turn the ball into a very thin bubble if i'm not wrong so it's not a solid/glass filled object.