Author Topic: Old kitchen redone  (Read 6648 times)

2013-09-22, 05:57:12

rickeloy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is another old scene of mine. Once again, I wanted to test Corona against V-Ray.
My V-Ray times, at the same resolution, were 40 min per frame (it's an animation). So, I left this cooking for around 40 minutes to see how well Corona would stand against V-Ray.
There's still noticeable noise and the grout on the floor tiles seems weird at some points (because of the bump map, maybe?).
Another thing worth mentioning: the scene was looking good after 40 seconds, but is taking a long time to clean.

2013-09-22, 13:04:21
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That sort of noise at harder to reach spaces for light is pretty persistent, something I battle a bit too. I don't think Corona will beat Vray time for completely clear image if you're comparing Vray's Irradiance Cachce to Path tracing as primary solvers. It's more about the quality Corona will give you given same time. Just try to get interior frame with BruteForce in Vray under 40 minutes being clear ;- ).

Some suggestions for Bump I find compared to Vray is, use filtering if you don't, rather lower value compared to Vray. Looks more like reflection problem to me though.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-09-22, 18:07:40
Reply #2

rickeloy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That sort of noise at harder to reach spaces for light is pretty persistent, something I battle a bit too. I don't think Corona will beat Vray time for completely clear image if you're comparing Vray's Irradiance Cachce to Path tracing as primary solvers. It's more about the quality Corona will give you given same time. Just try to get interior frame with BruteForce in Vray under 40 minutes being clear ;- ).

Some suggestions for Bump I find compared to Vray is, use filtering if you don't, rather lower value compared to Vray. Looks more like reflection problem to me though.

Hey, Juraj!
I don't think it's fair to compare PT to Brute Force. They work kind of differently, so I guess a more appropriate comparison would be against V-Ray's Light Cache Progressive Path Tracing. At this point, since it can use GPU, it's a lot fast...
Also, my main point testing Corona is to see how it stacks against my current renderer, regardless which method they use. In the end, we all want a clear, decent render in the shortest time possible. ;-)

About the bump thing I mentioned, I'm indeed using filtering... And the same map is applied to reflection, meaning it has no reflection in the grout part whatsoever. Maybe that's the problem?

I'll be testing this scene further in the following days. Right now it's there cooking till tomorrow...

2013-09-23, 14:31:49
Reply #3

rickeloy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Update:
Just got to work, where I left the kitchen cooking over the weekend... This pic (already played with PS) cooked for 44 hours, reaching over 18000 passes. Noise disappeared around 6000 passes, meaning it too nearly 14 hours to do so. Of course, this is a huge time, but I used default settings (PT + HD). Gonna messa around with them now to see how I can make it faster.
Results are great, though. ;-)

2013-09-23, 19:02:58
Reply #4

rickeloy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A few tweaks later, changed HD cache's PT samples to 1024, Path Tracing Samples to 32 and MSI to 400, got this.
Acceptably noisy at 790 passes (3:17 hours). It's still a long time, but I'm beginning to understand how things work...

2013-09-24, 08:03:13
Reply #5

foxid

• Active Users
    • View Profile
black mat is too black

2013-09-24, 08:23:52
Reply #6

rafpug

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is another old scene of mine. Once again, I wanted to test Corona against V-Ray.
My V-Ray times, at the same resolution, were 40 min per frame (it's an animation). So, I left this cooking for around 40 minutes to see how well Corona would stand against V-Ray.
There's still noticeable noise and the grout on the floor tiles seems weird at some points (because of the bump map, maybe?).
Another thing worth mentioning: the scene was looking good after 40 seconds, but is taking a long time to clean.

Hello ricky

40 minutes per frame?

For 3 seconds of video it takes at least 100 frames.

Greats
Raf

2013-09-24, 13:59:49
Reply #7

rickeloy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep, 40 minutes in a single machine. I don't think it's actually that long, for I can make it in around 10 minutes when using DR (3 machines here). But since I'm using Corona in only one machine, it's only fair to compare it that way. ;-)

2013-09-24, 18:25:19
Reply #8

rafpug

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Ricke

which video resolution are you using?

2013-09-24, 18:51:29
Reply #9

rickeloy

• Active Users
    • View Profile