Author Topic: 6500k white  (Read 3855 times)

2015-05-28, 17:07:26

lasse1309

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Guys,

had some discussion here about corona white balance being at 6500k default - while vray and "real" cameras have it at 5500k.

I am pretty sure there is an idea behind setting it at 6500.. if anybody knows more about this, hints are well appreciated (and honoured :))

lasse

2015-05-28, 17:50:05
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
6500K is the color balance of sRGB color space which is the de-facto computer standard for images. BTW Corona white balance is "relative" - 6500 means "no change, outputs mapped 1:1 on inputs"
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-05-28, 19:07:10
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yep, to put it in practical context, 6500 is there so that if you have a texture, where certain pixel when measured in photoshop has say RGB 210,80,20, and you map this texture to self illuminated or emissive plane with multiplier of 1.0 and you do not touch exposure, if you measure same place of the map on the output render, it will still remain RGB 210,80,20. So by default, your colors are not modified in any way.

If default was 5500k, then imagine what a chaos it would make if you would make white wall material, yet it would render light blue under neutral light conditions :)

2015-05-30, 14:21:07
Reply #3

lasse1309

• Active Users
    • View Profile
guys, thanks a lot for your answer - appreciate that a lot.

well, for me it made sense a lot, the guy sitting on the other side of the table was confusing me with things like "but in vray..." "...noooo white is 5500k" :D

well, and there "white" is 5500k .. i am with you, because the sRGB standard was the value i was "kind of" aware and what i found in my google search.
hm.

i will confuse him back while talking to him in °C. so white is around 6227°, hrhr ;)

cheers

2015-06-02, 14:47:43
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Where did your colleague found that 5500 is White in Vray ?

My default exposure is D65, as in average daylight and D55 is correctly slight greeenish filter. But white would be just white.

Corona's relative approach to base photographic controls instead on sRGB standard is confusing (but only photographing purists might object, or those who require to precisely match footage), although logical solution. Since it doesn't have full tint counter balance, it's useless to use anyway, this is what Post-production is for now.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!