Author Topic: switchin to iMac  (Read 3986 times)

2014-12-03, 09:41:34

naikku

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, just wanted to ask if people here use Mac for viz-work. I would like to buy a 27" iMac but I understood there is no
3ds max for OSX. Correct me if I am wrong and tell me what software you guys use.
...If I cant get Corona to mac, then I will stay with PC/Windows.

2014-12-03, 11:56:26
Reply #1

NielsH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is no 3DS Max for OSX, if I remember correctly it is possible to run bootcamp and install windows but if you are going to do that you are much better off just building your own pc with better specs for a much lower price.

In my opinion iMacs in general are completely useless for viz work.

2014-12-03, 14:59:41
Reply #2

Adi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'd invest that money in high performance (regular desktop) PC , since Macs are much more expensive.
I use iMac at work and I'm not a fan of it :) and yes , you can install windows on it and use it normally.

2015-05-30, 17:14:24
Reply #3

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is a cop out, 3ds Max is the worst offending piece of bloatware written in 1990 and nothing has changed since then. It is unfortunately an popular POS (piece of !@#$) software because they teach it in school. 3Ds max can't ever be ported to Mac because it has so many dependant PC libraries and plugins built into it, it would just fall apart if that happened. It has to be re-written from scratch to get it into Mac.

Use Modo for product design and modelling individual things.
Use Cinema4D for scene development, compositing at the very least.
If you are an architect, Sketchup is the way to go.

All the above are Mac ready.

2015-05-30, 20:47:04
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
well this part is 100% true:
3Ds max can't ever be ported to Mac
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-06-25, 19:14:10
Reply #5

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you want a high performance rendering system don't acquire an iMac.

I have two macs and the rest of the systems are PC, PC is for 3D work, mac has really low 3D power compared to a PC, you can't have a Titan inside a iMac for example, maybe (and just maybe) in a Mac Pro, but not inside an iMac, also you can't have 64Gb of RAM AFAIK, you can't modify your system and renew just the CPU for a more powerful one in the future.

iMac is not for 3D IMHO

Cheers!

2015-06-26, 14:09:56
Reply #6

riggles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's interesting, as I'm moving from Mac to PC for archviz work. I've been using MODO, but stability issues are a regular thing for the last 3 releases, plus the newer Mac models are overly limited in component choices and upgradibility. So for those reasons I'm switching platforms, for work only. An added benefit is that 3ds Max seems to have the best compatibility with archviz software, plugins, and renders.

It's not that you can't do archviz work on a Mac. SketchUp + Vray is a capable combo. But Windows has the advantage is both software and hardware options, as well as hardware value if you're building your own PC.