Author Topic: Masks in reflection/refraction playgound!  (Read 18590 times)

2020-02-03, 18:04:20

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
As you may have noticed, there is a new feature in Corona Renderer 6 daily builds, which lets you store masks of objects seen through glass and reflected in mirrors:
Masking render elements can be propagated through refraction/reflection. To propagate them you have to set it in the material (Corona Mtl -> advanced ->propagate masks)
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000066916-how-to-use-masks-with-reflection-refraction

Please share your experiments here and point out any possible issues/requests/doubts as we would love to see how exactly you are using this feature, and make sure it works as expected in Corona.
I am also attaching a very simple scene here, which can be used to try it.

Full V6 changelog: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=26830.0
Get the daily build here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015

« Last Edit: 2020-02-05, 11:34:41 by GeorgeK »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-02-05, 12:01:43
Reply #1

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
good option, but I don't use masks at all in my pipeline

2020-02-05, 21:30:58
Reply #2

jop

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great !
Crucial for fvx/post-production !

2020-02-05, 22:07:00
Reply #3

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
Step in the right direction, but man Cryptomattes with this working would be the best. I am so sick of setting up RGB mattes and ID Mattes for so many objects.

2020-02-27, 12:47:28
Reply #4

enrico.lapponi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, here is a first test trying out the new masking feature. It works great, no problem in setting the correct option in the respective materials. It works with IDTool as well, if anybody is wondering about that.
Few notes:
1- It would be nice to have a way to set simultaneously the Propagate masks option in multiple materials.
2- maybe I missed something but once the Propagate masks option is used is not possible to have a mask of the object anymore (in the attached image the vase and the mirror). If I need to change the refraction or reflection in post how can I mask those objects?

Thanks for all the great work!
3D Artist / R&D Manager @ State of Art in Venice, Italy

2020-02-27, 14:46:00
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
1- It would be nice to have a way to set simultaneously the Propagate masks option in multiple materials.

Maybe it's worth to ask the author of Batch Material Edit script to update this tool to be compatible with the latest changes in Corona material?

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=12857.0
or directly on scriptspot: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/batch-material-editor
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-02-28, 11:59:07
Reply #6

enrico.lapponi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maybe it's worth to ask the author of Batch Material Edit script to update this tool to be compatible with the latest changes in Corona material?

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=12857.0
or directly on scriptspot: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/batch-material-editor

Great! Thanks, I wasn't aware of that tool!
3D Artist / R&D Manager @ State of Art in Venice, Italy

2020-03-05, 11:20:51
Reply #7

lgk

• Users
    • View Profile
Would it be possible to extend this function also to "CESSENTIAL_Volumetrics"?
It would also be useful in ZDepth
« Last Edit: 2020-03-05, 16:02:47 by lgk »

2020-03-06, 13:14:26
Reply #8

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Would it be possible to extend this function also to "CESSENTIAL_Volumetrics"?
It would also be useful in ZDepth
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I will log this as a feature request and put it to the dev team.

Rowan

(Internal ID=474801667)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2020-03-06, 16:47:54
Reply #9

Anatoly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also would it be possible to render mask for the transparent/reflective object at the same time?
Example:

I see a white building (White material has MatID:1) with large windows with glass (glass has MatID:2) and gray interior stuff (gray material has MaiID:3)
I Create Mask render element and put there all three material IDs. So Red (MatID:1) masks a white exterior walls, blue (MatID:3) masks a refracted interior stuff.
Would there be a plain green channel for the glass in windows?

Same for reflections, Red - object in front of mirror and it's reflection, and green for the mirror. So reflected object supposed to becomt Yellow (Red+Green) it would be this way? Or what should we expect in situations like this?
« Last Edit: 2020-03-06, 16:52:39 by Anatoly »

2020-03-14, 09:18:41
Reply #10

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I am genuinely elated about this feature - it is fantastic! ❤️ I have not experienced any issues with the implementation so far, but I will report any bugs to the forum should they appear.

For this image, several masks were generated to control the appearance of objects refracted through the crystal ornament.

« Last Edit: 2020-03-15, 10:10:03 by cjwidd »

2020-03-27, 16:57:55
Reply #11

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
currently I dont exactly understand how it should work.

I expected to get some combined color in viewpoint overlapping refractive objects. But it seems it shows just the mask of the foremost object, where non object is behind - so showing every mask behind.

2020-03-27, 17:02:53
Reply #12

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
hmm... should have read the help-file.
hoped it will behave like in vray when using RGB masks, where you can render full masks of each overlapping-refractive and non refractive objects.

So i still need to render 2 times to get the mask of the foremost and hidden objects?

2020-04-02, 11:09:42
Reply #13

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Investigated and reported:
(Internal ID=488395374)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-04-16, 11:29:51
Reply #14

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
currently I dont exactly understand how it should work.

I expected to get some combined color in viewpoint overlapping refractive objects. But it seems it shows just the mask of the foremost object, where non object is behind - so showing every mask behind.

+1