Author Topic: 3ds Max Hangs When Exiting Interactive Render  (Read 3007 times)

2019-04-16, 14:49:01

Lucas Rodrigues

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ilustra Studios CG
Hello, some times during the day the 3ds max hangs when I close the Interactive Render. The 3ds max receives the "not responding" message and I have to wait a few many minutes for it to respond again. Anyone please have any idea what this might be?
Corona 3 / 3ds max 2019

2019-04-17, 16:04:52
Reply #1

Lucas Rodrigues

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ilustra Studios CG

I changed to max 2017 and the problem continues

2019-04-17, 16:11:23
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
More information would be useful please - when you say "close the interactive renderer" do you mean you press Stop (and it stops in a reasonable time), then once it has stopped, you close the IR? Or do you mean you close IR while it is still rendering?

Which hotfix of Corona 3 is it? Do you have a video of what you mean? Is this in every scene, or one particular scene? Are there any plugins in use, e.g. for scattering? Any info from the task manager on what applications are using CPU at the time you close Max, as you mention it is just sometimes that it happens (so, could be when something else is happening)? Could you kill Max and grab a minidump, during the apparent freeze (see https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006-how-to-report-issues-3ds-max, lower down on how to generate a minidump)

Thanks!

EDIT - hardware specs would be useful too. Also, is Fast preview denoise during render enabled?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-04-17, 17:05:25
Reply #3

Lucas Rodrigues

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ilustra Studios CG
When I render for Interactive and click the close or stop button, the window takes a long time to close and 3ds max says "It is not responding", in fact this happens several times and when it hangs up, it stays stuck for more than 10 minutes depending on the scene .

This problem happens with simple scenes and complex scenes, with and without a corona scatter.

- I found the same problem in Corona Render 3 and Corona render 3 Hotfix 2
- I did not make a video of the problem, but I can do it.
- I did not know the minidump, I will try to follow your recommendation and say the results
- Yes, every time I have this problem I'm using Nvidia Denoiser, I have not tested with it off.

Ryzen 7 1800x
48 GB Mem DDr 4
Gtx 1070
SSd 240
HD 1 TB / HD 2 TB / HD 500 GB
Water cooler corsai

The temperature never exceeds 72 ° during renderin
Thanks Thomas

2019-04-17, 17:43:56
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Could be the NVIDIA denoiser, it can introduce overhead depending on how much GPU memory is used and may take time to clean up - if you do get a chance to test, I'd be interested to know if disabling it makes any difference. I have a very old GPU here, so I have seen how it can cause things to be laggy (though never as much as 10 minutes). Also, ty for the extra info here, and for any additional info gathering you can do to help us figure out what is happening for you!

2019-04-17, 18:03:11
Reply #5

Lucas Rodrigues

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ilustra Studios CG

Good idea, I'll try to work without Nvidia denoiser to see if it solves this problem. I just sent a Minidump file through the dropbox by email contato@ilustrastudios.com.br

2019-04-17, 19:35:16
Reply #6

Lucas Rodrigues

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ilustra Studios CG

I turned off Nvidia Denoise and so far the problem has been solved. I'm doing tests on the big scene with a lot of scatter and even then the interactive rendering window closes quickly when I'm not working with Nvidia Denoise.

Well, now that apparently the problem is related to the GPU, do you have any idea how to solve it and what might be causing it?

The video card driver is up to date

2019-04-17, 20:43:26
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
What resolution are you rendering at, how many render elements that use denoising (such as light selects), and how much memory does your GPU have? I think it is likely to be something that can't be solved unfortunately, my guess is just that the GPU is taxed to its limit, probably due to using most of its memory, and when handling a larger resolution plus running all the windows in Windows and the viewports in Max, it just takes it a while to get everything cleaned up once done. We might be able to pass the information along to NVIDIA to see if there are any improvements that could be done; alternatively, a GPU with more memory might help. Of course, switching to the Intel or the High Quality denoisier would definitely avoid the lag.

EDIT you should be able to check your GPU memory usage in Task Manager, to see if it is indeed maxed out or close to it.

2019-04-18, 02:30:45
Reply #8

Lucas Rodrigues

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ilustra Studios CG

As a GPU I use a GTX 1070 8GB.
Would not Vram alone be enough for this?

The resolution I use for the interactive Render is between 1200 and 1550 px.
I use a 4k monitor and so my rendering window looks pretty small, I'm forced to increase.

2019-04-18, 15:20:30
Reply #9

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
That's not too large a resolution - how about number of render elements that are being denoised? Are there quite a few LightSelects for example?

Denoising does require quite a bit of memory (which scales with render resolution) and is the most likely cause of something hanging / lagging on what is a reasonably powerful GPU. As noted, you could watch the task manager and see just how much GPU memory is in use while rendering (compared to how much is in use while not running Max at all) to see whether memory is the issue.

2019-04-18, 19:42:03
Reply #10

Lucas Rodrigues

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ilustra Studios CG

I'm going to do this test, but is not there another solution we can try?

2019-04-18, 19:57:32
Reply #11

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
No other solution from what you describe - turning off the NVIDIA AI denoiser removes the delay from what you say, so that points to it being the cause. It's not something we develop, so we can't do anything to change how it works (other than report it to NVIDIA, who then decide whether to do anything or not, and what priority and timescale to set for that); and if it is GPU memory running out, that is one of the hazards of GPU based processing, it has a lot less memory than you will find in the system RAM so is more likely to run into memory related issues.

Switching to the Intel denoiser should resolve that, give similar results, though of course it will take it longer to denoise than the NVIDIA one (but faster than the Corona High Quality, which is still our recommended solution).

2019-04-18, 20:10:30
Reply #12

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Switching to the Intel denoiser should resolve that

As far as I understand, it's about interactive rendering. And only nVidia AI denoiser is (for reasons) available there - you cannot switch to Intel denoiser :]

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-04-18, 20:31:24
Reply #13

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Lost track of this thread - yeah IR has no other options, other than no denoising at all (which might be preferable to the hangs :) )